Thread: I have lost all my firefox bookmarks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I have lost all my firefox bookmarks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There was a Firefox update quite recently, I am not sure if it was after this update or after I executed a "sudo apt-get autoremove" command that I lost my bookmarks, but this should not have happened anyway.

I have experienced this before after a Firefox update. I am quite new to Ubuntu, and I find this bloody annoying! I have been quite happy with Ubuntu for about a year or so, but if I experience this kind of instability repeatedly I think I will have to go back to Windows because I find this really unacceptable.

Is there some way I can get my bookmarks back?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: I have lost all my firefox bookmarks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not sure if you can get them back but I recommend using google bookmarks. You can install the toolbar and have a dropdown on your PC just like FF.

Plus you still have access to them on any PC, any OS, and don't have to worry about backing them up.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Having apt run autoremove should not have done this, and I don't believe that it did.
    "Security lies within the user of who runs the system. Think smart, live safe." - Dr Small
    Linux User #441960 | Wiki: DrSmall

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Firefox stores your bookmarks in a file called bookmarks.html in a sub-directory (named after your FF profile name) under:

~/.mozilla/firefox

"sudo apt-get autoremove" will not touch any files in your home directory, only files directly installed by a package.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I have been fairly disappointed with Firefox on Ubuntu, although for different reasons. I just went and installed Opera, which I'm finding that I really, really like.

I'm not sure about your problem, but I blame my problems with Firefox on Ubuntu more on Firefox than Ubuntu, so I wouldn't go back to Windows just because of Firefox.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Well, at least I got my bookmarks back, thanks to beetlebrox, but I don't like this. Firefox is not stable. Maybe I should try Opera.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

It's weird that it doesn't automatically find your bookmarks. I wonder if it's created a new blank profile and wasn't reading your previous profile.

Was there more that one directory in ~/.mozilla/firefox ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Opera doesn't seem to want to install on my 9.04 but on my Mint distro it seems to be much more stable and nicer to use than Firefox. If you can install it you should at least try it. Features are different so it might not be for you but it is great for me.