Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: GameGuard protected games that do not work in Wine

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: GameGuard protected games that do not work in Wine

S4 League ( Alaplaya ) has HackShield or something ... I do not play it anymore but I remember it used HackShield .
    Machine : TWISTED UP eMachines e525
    Linux is full of problems . Because of it I like it !

Beans
    Distro

It does indeed use HackShield. Added to the list.

Linux User #355330 | Ubuntu User #15618 | Last.FM

Beans

Re: GameGuard and Hackshield protected games that do not work in Wine

Quote Originally Posted by cogadh View Post
    NOTE: Due to the questionable legality of private servers, please do not bring them up in this thread.
    I'd just like to comment on the above note. Private servers may, indeed, be illegal to run, being a form of copyright infringement. But there's that little thing called the First Amendment. In the USA, at least, it's perfectly legal to DISCUSS private servers as long as you don't actually run one (other countries, such as Canada, England, Australia, etc. also have similar protections of freedom of speech). So go ahead and freely discuss private servers, people.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Gallagher View Post
    I'd just like to comment on the above note. Private servers may, indeed, be illegal to run, being a form of copyright infringement. But there's that little thing called the First Amendment. In the USA, at least, it's perfectly legal to DISCUSS private servers as long as you don't actually run one (other countries, such as Canada, England, Australia, etc. also have similar protections of freedom of speech). So go ahead and freely discuss private servers, people.
    There is no such thing as free speech on a privately owned forum such as this. Free speech on the internet means you are allowed to start your own website and discuss whatever you want there, not discuss whatever you want on someone else's website. Also, the discussion of private servers often leads to telling people where and how to find/use private servers, which opens Ubuntu up to liability they don't need. This is the same reason that other legal grey areas, like copy protection cracks are verboten topics on Ubuntu forums.

DO NOT "go ahead and freely discuss private servers", the mods will simply delete any posts of that nature anyway.

Beans

I would like to add that Vindictus also uses Hackshield.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

what about clubaudition / auditionsea / audition ayodance?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by XsheepX View Post
    I would like to add that Vindictus also uses Hackshield.
    Added, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by synclicious View Post
    what about clubaudition / auditionsea / audition ayodance?
    Are you asking if those use GameGuard/Hackshield or are you asking why they aren't on the list? The answer to both is the same: I don't know if they use either anti-cheat system.

Beans

Heroes in the Sky, a gamescampus.com game, should be added to the list. Actually every game from Games Campus is a no go in Wine, even lastest dev version 1.3.17, with standard install, PlayOnLinux, Cedega Winetricks, nothing works.

Gameguard is actually setup as a service in Windows, I'm assuming that there is a way to install a service in Wine? That will be step 1 to fixing this. That gameguard.des file and I think some other file too need to be registered services to do their jobs so until that can happen, no Gameguard in Linux

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by gnunoob View Post
    Heroes in the Sky, a gamescampus.com game, should be added to the list. Actually every game from Games Campus is a no go in Wine, even lastest dev version 1.3.17, with standard install, PlayOnLinux, Cedega Winetricks, nothing works.

Gameguard is actually setup as a service in Windows, I'm assuming that there is a way to install a service in Wine? That will be step 1 to fixing this. That gameguard.des file and I think some other file too need to be registered services to do their jobs so until that can happen, no Gameguard in Linux
    The service thing is only part of the problem. GameGuard itself is actually a device driver in Windows and Windows device drivers will never work in Wine.

Thanks for the list additions, I'll edit them in shortly.

Beans

Well, to add to the list and edit the second post in the topic, Silkroad Online (JoyMax) is running Hackshield now and as far as I can tell is no longer supported

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast