Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: GameGuard protected games that do not work in Wine

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: GameGuard protected games that do not work in Wine

I think for now I will leave it on the list, since it does still have HackShield, but I will note that it has been reported to work anyway. If we could get a secondary confirmation that it works, I'd feel more comfortable removing it from the list. If it is just bad HackShield integration, all it might take is a forced client update to correct the issue and the game will be right back where it was.
    Last edited by cogadh; June 21st, 2010 at 06:27 AM.

Linux User #355330 | Ubuntu User #15618 | Last.FM

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Isn't nProtect just a scam anyway?

I find it really odd that there's no detailed documentation on how exactly their software works.

In addition, their wikipedia page is an obvious promo and looks suspicious.

Beans
    Distro

The company nProtect is not a scam at all and their product GameGuard is no more of a scam than PunkBuster is, or any other "anti-cheat" application. There's no detailed documentation on it because if they told everybody how they prevent cheating, then the cheaters would just find a way to work around it (not that is all that difficult to work around it anyway). Additionally, I think they are well aware that if people actually knew how their software does what it does, they might not be too happy.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

CrossFire MMOFPS

CrossFire MMOFPS has switched from GameGuard to XTrap

Does NOT currently work natively under wine or linux, but does under a properly configured VMWare Player.

Configure with:
    svga.vramSize = 268435456
    monitor_control.restrict_backdoor = "true"
    isolation.tools.getPtrLocation.disable = "true"
    isolation.tools.setPtrLocation.disable = "true"
    isolation.tools.setVersion.disable = "true"
    isolation.tools.getVersion.disable = "true"
    monitor_control.disable_directexec = "true"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

i can play Flyff but not with the Gameguard thing.

Some private servers dont have gameguard...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I wish I would have found this list prior to wasting my time downloading Rohan, Global version.
    On a side-note, Requiem: Momento Mori doesn't seem to have a hackguard but it does crash when you log your character into the server, something about microsoft visual c++ runtime library runtime error, quite the pain in the backside.
    Last edited by Shalmainia; October 4th, 2010 at 10:07 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

So I know this is probably a stupid question but why can't GameGuard/HackShield be developed to work with Linux/Mac OS? Could Wine be developed some way to emulate the Windows drivers needed to run the said software?

This may be an unrelated question but seems like it might somewhat fit: Is there anyway you could run a virtual box to run these games and get around the problem altogether?

Beans
    Distro

They probably could be engineered to work with Linux and other OSes, but that is up to INCA Internet and Ahn Labs to decide to do that. As for Wine, the problem is not emulating other drivers, the problem is GameGuard (and to some extent HackShield) actually ARE drivers. Drivers require kernel mode access while Wine only runs in user mode and that is not going to change. Allowing Wine kernel mode access would be potentially very harmful to your system, hence why it is specifically designed to not do that.

A virtual machine running Windows could be used to get around these problems and many people actually do that, but not all virtual machines support the 3D acceleration necessary for some of these games and the ones that do support it are still a bit buggy.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hmm. Okay. Thanks. I was just wondering because it seemed like everyone was addressing the issue of why it wouldn't work instead of how to fix it. If I knew anything about coding I'd offer my help to engineer it to work with Ubuntu but sadly I'm just some random teenager who knows nothing in the slightest about coding besides some exposure to some Visual BASIC.

And I understand now about the drivers. Makes sense to make sure it doesn't access the kernel. And it would be too much of a risk to give it the option to do so in advanced settings too so yeah. All understandable.

And the whole deal about Virtual machines could be interesting to develop upon. Example: Make a virtual box type deal thats built specifically for gamers on systems that do not support certain games. Interesting...
    Last edited by The_Accursed_One; November 3rd, 2010 at 07:19 PM.

Beans

Has anyone tried to make a proper work around for GameGuard?

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast