Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 31

Thread: cannot connect to wlan with rt2860

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Beans
    32

    Re: cannot connect to wlan with rt2860

    I'm having this same problem with my MacBook Pro. Every time I input my key, it ponders for a few seconds, then prompts again.

    Sometimes I'll cancel and it'll eventually connect, but more and more it just seems to taunt me and continue prompting for a key.

    I'm using Jaunty with the latest updates.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Beans
    150
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Re: cannot connect to wlan with rt2860

    you might need to ndiswrapper your wireless card.

    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...er/Ndiswrapper
    David Toronto
    Technology Initiatives
    Blog: blog.technologyinitiatives.com

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Beans
    1,491

    Re: cannot connect to wlan with rt2860

    No there is an open source ralink driver available. http://www.ralinktech.com/ralink/Hom...ort/Linux.html

    Anyways if the issue is not with the driver, you can always try to see if a different network management app `fixes' it? I've found network manager to be too unreliable in the past, even though they use the 'same' wpa_supplicant WICD seems to do a much better job at wireless connections.

    If it is the driver, be sure to check that your hardware signature is listed among those defined in the relevant header files: it would not be the first time Ralink drivers were a bit behind.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Beans
    266

    Re: cannot connect to wlan with rt2860

    Quote Originally Posted by Reiger View Post
    No there is an open source ralink driver available. http://www.ralinktech.com/ralink/Hom...ort/Linux.html

    Anyways if the issue is not with the driver, you can always try to see if a different network management app `fixes' it? I've found network manager to be too unreliable in the past, even though they use the 'same' wpa_supplicant WICD seems to do a much better job at wireless connections.

    If it is the driver, be sure to check that your hardware signature is listed among those defined in the relevant header files: it would not be the first time Ralink drivers were a bit behind.
    The rt2680sta module comes with 9.04 (>= 2.6.28.10 I think) so you don't have to compile it from source.

    Also I tried wicd but that doesn't work either.

    Wireless works without encryption, but I can't connect to wpa/wpa2 secured networks.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Beans
    69

    Re: cannot connect to wlan with rt2860

    WPA/WPA2 are broken in every module everybody has tried (AFAIK) since Adam's 1.7.1.1 DKMS driver. Downgrade like so:

    1) Get the driver from http://www.array.org/ubuntu/dists/in....7.1.1_all.deb

    2) Go to terminal, and move the pre-installed driver so it won't get loaded.

    cd /lib/modules/2.6.28-11-generic/kernel/drivers/staging/rt2860/
    sudo mv rt2860sta.ko rt2860sta.bak


    3) Install rt2860-dkms_1.7.1.1_all.deb. It will also install dependencies needed to compile the driver. If it doesn't retrieve the right packages, make sure "build-essential", "linux-header-generic" and "dkms" is installed. Let it run and it should complete without a problem.

    4) Restart. The new driver should work automatically.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Roma, Italy
    Beans
    223
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: cannot connect to wlan with rt2860

    Quote Originally Posted by nyarnon View Post
    Yes and I'm not in the camp of those who are supporting this setup. It's a drag if you want f.i. ssh access on a homecomputer that sometimes restart
    If you configure a system connection in NetworkManager, it should just work. I used to SSH a lot from my laptop to my desktop while not logged in on my desktop when I still had wireless on my laptop (EDIT: while not logged in on my desktop, I mean).

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Roma, Italy
    Beans
    223
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: cannot connect to wlan with rt2860

    Quote Originally Posted by Akita View Post
    WPA/WPA2 are broken in every module everybody has tried (AFAIK) since Adam's 1.7.1.1 DKMS driver. Downgrade like so:
    Been there, done that. Didn't help much.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Beans
    266

    Re: cannot connect to wlan with rt2860

    Quote Originally Posted by Akita View Post
    1) Get the driver from http://www.array.org/ubuntu/dists/in....7.1.1_all.deb

    4) Restart. The new driver should work automatically.
    Yes it does. Nice.

    Is there already a bug filed about that problem?

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Beans
    69

    Re: cannot connect to wlan with rt2860

    Quote Originally Posted by excogitation View Post
    Yes it does. Nice.

    Is there already a bug filed about that problem?
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/344022

    There's a few that overlap, but that one seems to be the best fit.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Beans
    69

    Re: cannot connect to wlan with rt2860

    Quote Originally Posted by tawmas View Post
    Been there, done that. Didn't help much.
    Are you sure that's the driver being used?

    Code:
    sudo modinfo rt2860sta
    Should show a version of 1.7.1.1.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •