Thread: Reselling Windows XP Home disk?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Reselling Windows XP Home disk?

My first built computer use a full version licenses Windows XP Home disk. I wipe the hard drive and install Linux over 4 1/2 years ago. I have this Windows disk that is just collecting dust. Is it legal to resell my Windows disk with the licenses activation key? And the buyer just have to call Microsoft to get a new activation key right?

Sell or not to sell. That is the question. Or do I have to put this Windows disk in file13?

Beans

Re: Reselling Windows XP Home disk?

You'll have to check with the EULA that you'll probably find on the disk itself or when you run it. AFAIK you're allowed to sell copies bought off the shelf, but not OEM copies. I could well be wrong though.
    La Dânse Macabre.

~ sandandmercury.net | deviantART profile ~

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I just read the Microsoft licensing agreement last week and it says you're allowed to resell it as long as you destroy all personal copies of it, provide them with all yor hard copies and licenses, as well as ensure they have the same access to the license agreement that you did. For example, you can't resell it after removing the agreement from it somehow. So yes, you can sell.

Beans

here's what the problem would be, if he sells the windows disk to someone else and they install that cd on their computer with the activation key,when that person then gets updates from microsoft then what would happen is WGA will flag that as not a legel copy, because that copy had belonged to another computer originally.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

here's what the problem would be, if he sells the windows disk to someone else and they install that cd on their computer with the activation key,when that person then gets updates from microsoft then what would happen is WGA will flag that as not a legel copy, because that copy had belonged to another computer originally.
    Unless the owner registered with Microsoft (and I'm not sure even then) Microsoft doesn't have the resources to track every installation of XP, they only track the number of times the product key has been used to activate the installation, it is usually three time. You can get the usage reset by talking to one of Microsoft friendly tech support people. I have done it several times.

Jim

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Im not sure you can resell windows disk or not... but i think the more important moral question is... why would you do that to someone? and could you live with yourself afterwards? LOL

just a thought.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Call Microsoft and ask them directly. Get the persons name you spoke to @ MSFT and write down the time and date of the call and save any emails you might have had with MSFT as proof.