Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kodak ESP3 - work around?

Beans

Smile Re: Kodak ESP3 - work around?

Quote Originally Posted by paulnewall View Post
    I wrote a driver for Kodak ESP5250, it might also work with the ESP 3?
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/cupsdriverkodak/
    You Rock! Your driver works well (some colors off but not a big issue for me) Kodak ESP 9. (Lucid Lynx beta)
    Last edited by thecure; April 2nd, 2010 at 03:41 AM. Reason: Clarification

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Kodak ESP3 - work around?

I am new to cups and its administration. When I try to install the driver, I'm getting the error that follows. Am I missing an obvious dependency?

After running the "make" command....

#
    # Dependencies...
    #
    *** Error: /usr/include/cups/raster.h is not installed!
    *** Install cups raster library package
    *** for Ubuntu: sudo apt-get install libcupsimage2
    make: *** [all-test] Error 1

When I try sudo apt-get install libcupsimage2, the system states that libcupsimage2 is already the newest version.

I appreciate any advice you have to offer (including the suggestion to go out and buy HP... it's already tempting).

kcgrad
    (obvious newb)

(Editing to include Ubuntu version 9.10 and Kodak printer ESP 7)
    Last edited by kcgrad; April 11th, 2010 at 01:38 AM. Reason: Editing to include Ubuntu version 9.10 and Kodak printer ESP 7

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kcgrad View Post
    I am new to cups and its administration. When I try to install the driver, I'm getting the error that follows. Am I missing an obvious dependency?

After running the "make" command....

#
    # Dependencies...
    #
    *** Error: /usr/include/cups/raster.h is not installed!
    *** Install cups raster library package
    *** for Ubuntu: sudo apt-get install libcupsimage2
    make: *** [all-test] Error 1

When I try sudo apt-get install libcupsimage2, the system states that libcupsimage2 is already the newest version.

I appreciate any advice you have to offer (including the suggestion to go out and buy HP... it's already tempting).

kcgrad
    (obvious newb)

(Editing to include Ubuntu version 9.10 and Kodak printer ESP 7)
    You need to install libcupsimage2-dev then it'll work

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by thecure View Post
    You need to install libcupsimage2-dev then it'll work
    Excellent! After removing CUPS, then reinstalling it as well as libcupsimage2-dev, the ESP 7 printer is working (Ubuntu 9.10).

Great job!

kcgrad

Beans

I have installed c2esp05 on three computers running Ubuntu. On the first, using Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic), it works fine. I can now use my wireless-networked Kodak ESP 7 for the first time from Ubuntu (no need to switch to Windows - brilliant!). On the second computer, (an aged laptop with limited RAM running Xubuntu 9.10) printing on the ESP7 also now works fine.

However, on the third computer, a desktop running Ubuntu 8.10 (Jaunty), only black and white printing is possible. Attemping to print a test page from the "printer properties window" with colour enabled results in the printer state: "Processing - specified color format is not supported", followed by printer state: "Idle - no pages found", and a blank sheet of paper is ejected from the printer. It works with Black&white selected instead of colour, however.

I don't want to update this computer to Karmic at present as it is not my computer and I don't want to risk data loss.

Beans

I've been bummed for the last ~15 months since my wife bought the Kodak ESP7 that I can't print to it from my Ubuntu boxes. I just stumbled on this ESP 5250 driver and was amazed when an Ubuntu test page started spitting out of the printer. Unfortunately, it stopped about 30% the way through and just ejected the paper without finishing. I've printed several times again and every time it gets about 30-40% through, stops, then feeds the paper out without finishing.

So close yet so far, any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I don't have any clear idea what the problem will be but I'd suggest:
    1. Make sure you have the most recent version of c2esp - I've made a lot of versions.
    2. Try monitoring the memory use while it generates the print data, maybe you are using a lot of swap, slowing your PC and the printer gets fed up waiting for data?
    3. Try printing black and white, or draft, or both and try printing some things other than the test page to see if they work.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Ant idea how to get it running in64 bit 10.4? I'm trying to get an ESP3 to work.
    Itch: Think Hula hoop, positive on top, negative on bottom, roll it. Is it a wave or a particle? Is it a photon? Is a photon a dipole? Are we all made of light!

Beans

This is the most awesome news! I own a Kodak ESP3 and it's about the last thing i needed to keep a Windows around for (occasional printing). I hope this works w/ amd64 lynx

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by bwallum View Post
    Ant idea how to get it running in64 bit 10.4? I'm trying to get an ESP3 to work.
    Try compiling from source. (tar.gz)

I don't know what the dependencies are, but you will at least need to install the package "build-essential"

P.S. Good work! Ubuntu users can potentially save a lot of money on ink.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast