Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kodak ESP3 - work around?

Beans

Kodak ESP3 - work around?

Has anyone found a work around to get Kodak ESP 3 Printers to work in Linux?

I thought for sure there would be someone to have written their own version of a print driver for it by now.

BTW, I'm on a Dual Boot system. Vista / Ubuntu 8.10

Maybe there is a way to install it on Vista and access it's drivers??
    Last edited by dniezby; February 13th, 2009 at 05:13 PM.

Beans

Re: Kodak ESP3 - work around?

Just checked CUPS and there's no driver listed for the Kodak printer.

As to using Vista or its drivers, basically, no.

Is this a relatively new printer? If so, expect to wait a while, maybe a LONG while, for CUPS to catch up.

Beans

Yeah, it's a new Kodak printer - The ESP3.

I'm actually surprised that someone hasn't taken the windows driver apart and created a linux version. I thought coders loved to do that stuff. I know I would be working on it right now if I knew how to do it. Just because I could.

Well, also because they basically seem to have given Linux the proverbial finger. I'd like to give it back.

Funny thing is, their developers WANT to work on a unix version (according to an article I read by one of their developers)

Let's get on this boys (and girls).

Heck, I remember the days when all of the Linux device drivers had to be written by end users. Where are you now ? Help !!
    LOL.

Beans

What about my work around question? Anyone know a way I can get it print without having to save the document, restart into Vista and print?

I was soooooo set to drop Vista for good, then this printer stuff popped up. Dang it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

this won't solve your problem, but in the future, if you don't mind using HP printers, go that route. nearly every single HP printer will work "out of the box" in linux.

the only possible solution i can think of, is to install xp in virtualbox under ubuntu. i got tired of doing that a long time ago and threw out my lexmark and got an HP. a small price to pay to finally rid myself of windows.

Beans

I would, but I just bought the printer.

I was tired of the huge costs of printing with HP so I bought this Kodak ESP3. Then I learned of the problems with Kodak print drivers and Linux.

Unfortunately, I was turned on to Ubuntu AFTER I bought the printer. I'm only about two weeks into Ubuntu.

Beans

Has anyone solved this?
    I've just installed Ubuntu, about a month after buying my new printer Kodak ESP3.
    I really don't want to go back to Windows, but I can't justify buying a new printer when the Kodak one is a month old for the pleasure of having Ubuntu.
    Please tell me someone has found a workaround!

Alan.

Beans

Yeah, I solved it. I bit the bullet and went back to windows.

That was extremely painful to do.

But the printer and program support for Ubuntu just isn't there yet. Even the printers that I could use were still limited in features.

I long for the day when Ubuntu can run all of the same programs.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dniezby View Post
    Yeah, I solved it. I bit the bullet and went back to windows.

That was extremely painful to do.

But the printer and program support for Ubuntu just isn't there yet. Even the printers that I could use were still limited in features.

I long for the day when Ubuntu can run all of the same programs.
    This is not the fault of ubuntu or linux, I would blame Kodac for having bad support towards linux
    HOME BUILT SYSTEM! http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22804/ Please vote up!
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED

Beans

Ah well, maybe one day Kodak will consider the market worth its while.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast