Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Commercial user-space applications and the GPL,

Beans

Re: Commercial user-space applications and the GPL,

In other words good luck with GPL/LPGL. Honeslty... dont expect to much commercial software to soon on Linux.

From my POV, we have our development system cross platform, honestly, is much clear and easy to target MacOS instead Linux. I no wonder why some other commercial software developers prefer MacOS instead Linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Commercial user-space applications and the GPL,

Quote Originally Posted by yse View Post
    In other words good luck with GPL/LPGL. Honeslty... dont expect to much commercial software to soon on Linux.

From my POV, we have our development system cross platform, honestly, is much clear and easy to target MacOS instead Linux. I no wonder why some other commercial software developers prefer MacOS instead Linux.
    That's because of the perceived uncertainty with the whole process; saulgoode's excellent post shed a considerable amount of light on it.

Btw, I didn't start this thread to bash Linux over the head - just that sometimes tough questions need to be made to get the right answers - personally, I arrived at Linux from years of development in OSX due to Apple's extremely poor bug-fixing record stilting any progress.

On a side note: a friend pointed something out which commercial newcomers to the open source paradigm miss out on: trademarks. If you notice, all of the service-based projects making a buck (MySQL, Apache, etc) have the leverage of their trademark names.

I hope this discussion will help potential application developers inform themselves more clearly on the situation.
    Last edited by Gordon Bennett; February 15th, 2009 at 12:57 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123