Thread: very slow downloads using upate manager

Beans

very slow downloads using upate manager

I have just installed ubuntu 8.04.02 on a Dell e6400 laptop.
    When I try to download files via any of the gui apps, such as firefox, update manager, or synaptic package manager, I get very slow throughput.
    The performance can drop below 1K bytes/sec. Using ftp from the commandline to access one of the same sites I can get over 700K Bytes/Sec sustained on large files.

Any clues as to what is causing the slow performance for the normal applications for get updates and such?

Beans

Re: very slow downloads using upate manager

Quote Originally Posted by rpennington View Post
    I have just installed ubuntu 8.04.02 on a Dell e6400 laptop.
    When I try to download files via any of the gui apps, such as firefox, update manager, or synaptic package manager, I get very slow throughput.
    The performance can drop below 1K bytes/sec. Using ftp from the commandline to access one of the same sites I can get over 700K Bytes/Sec sustained on large files.

Any clues as to what is causing the slow performance for the normal applications for get updates and such?
    I don't know how to fix the problem but I can tell you thats not normal. The only time I've ever seen exceptionally slow downloads with synaptic is when a new version is bing released but thats to be expected when almost everybody is upgrading at the same time.
    Do not be afraid to joust a giant just because some people insist on believing in windmills.
    Free Moonbase Commander remake @ http://code.google.com/p/tether

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Synaptic has a feature called select best server.. it tests by pinging all the servers and gives you the fastest repo.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Yes try the synaptic select best server... Or you can choose the server closest to you......
    ~humanity to everyone and everything~

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mick316 View Post
    Synaptic has a feature called select best server.. it tests by pinging all the servers and gives you the fastest repo.
    Forgot about that, thats a good idea. If you don't know how to do that rpennington then go into "system > admininstration > software sources". You'll see an option to 'download from' and choose 'other' from the dropdown list. You'll see a button to 'select best server' which will cause the program to find the best server for you based off ping times. You'll then need to reload the repositories.
    Do not be afraid to joust a giant just because some people insist on believing in windmills.

Beans

What about the following case.

I use firefox to go to http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download site. I select a version of iso to download and select an ftp site. In most cases I have been selecting lug.mtu.edu for the download site, and I get very poor results.
    If I do an anonymous ftp from the command line to the same site, I get over 700KBytes/Sec.

I have also tried the Walla Walla University site with firefox and still got the < 10KBytes/sec.

Beans

Additional information,

I tried retrieving the file using wget from the command line,

wget http://lug.mtu.edu/ubuntu-releases/i...sktop-i386.iso

and I get the same poor performance. The first minute is great and then it drops down to less than 10K/sec.

Beans

Do you have FTP selected as the protocol when you choose the server to download from? Maybe HTTP (default) is being throttled for those servers.

Beans

I tried the wget set to use ftp and it too slowed down to less than 10K/sec.

But if I ftp to the same site from the command line, then cd to the appropiate directory and issue a get for the file, I get 700K/sec.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I had this issue when using a wireless card in my desktop with the wrong drivers. Once I plugged in wired it worked perfect and then once I got the correct driver via the updates, the wireless card worked perfect.