Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A couple of noob questions

Beans

A couple of noob questions

Hi to all of You!!!
    I want to install Ubuntu or Xubuntu on my laptop. My laptop is Asus a9rp (Celeron 1.6, 256 ram, and x200). My graphic card takes at least 64 ram... I triedd to install Ubuntu, but I could not. My friend recommended me Xubuntu. I downloaded xubuntu-8.10-desktop-i386.iso and xubuntu-8.10-alternate-i386.iso. When I try to install with first cd, i cannot do that because I have less then 256 ram... Can anyone help me (step by step) how to install with alternate cd???

Many thanks to all of U...

P.S. if anyone have some other recomendation, please help.
    P.P.S. Sorry for bad english

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome

Re: A couple of noob questions

I would recommend that you try something like Puppy Linux, this is easy on system resources & runs very well.
    http://www.puppylinux.org/
    Registered Linux user #475388
    Using Various flavours of Linux: Ubuntu 10.04, Linux Mint 6, Mandriva, OpenSuse.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by Maksim_Gorki View Post
    Hi to all of You!!!
    I want to install Ubuntu or Xubuntu on my laptop. My laptop is Asus a9rp (Celeron 1.6, 256 ram, and x200). My graphic card takes at least 64 ram... I triedd to install Ubuntu, but I could not. My friend recommended me Xubuntu. I downloaded xubuntu-8.10-desktop-i386.iso and xubuntu-8.10-alternate-i386.iso. When I try to install with first cd, i cannot do that because I have less then 256 ram... Can anyone help me (step by step) how to install with alternate cd???

Many thanks to all of U...

P.S. if anyone have some other recomendation, please help.
    P.P.S. Sorry for bad english
    Pop the alternate CD in, boot off of it, and follow the prompts, they are almost the same as the Live CD prompts. It will ask for your language, then it will lead through the rest of the questions.

Beans

Ubuntu is great and more efficient then XP and vista but you'll need something lighter given your posted resources. Although I've never used it msyelf I've heard good things about puppy linux on older systems and would recommend over ubuntu in this case.
    Do not be afraid to joust a giant just because some people insist on believing in windmills.
    Free Moonbase Commander remake @ http://code.google.com/p/tether

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

I suggest installing puppy or slitaz instead of ubuntu or xubuntu with that ram

Beans

OK, thanks.... And even if I use alternet cd, i will have "visual" system???

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome

Puppy Linux was the distro that got me interested in Linux again after a few years of not using Linux. It works great on older hardware.
    Registered Linux user #475388
    Using Various flavours of Linux: Ubuntu 10.04, Linux Mint 6, Mandriva, OpenSuse.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by Maksim_Gorki View Post
    OK, thanks.... And even if I use alternet cd, i will have "visual" system???
    Yes, although I might try Puppy, or something light that was suggested. Your memory might be a little low. You can try it and if you don't like it, go ahead and try something else.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by perlluver View Post
    You can try it and if you don't like it, go ahead and try something else.
    Thats one of the best things about linux, if you don't like something you can change it, even if it's the entire distro.
    Do not be afraid to joust a giant just because some people insist on believing in windmills.
    Free Moonbase Commander remake @ http://code.google.com/p/tether

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Maksim
    I have a similar speced laptop and Xubuntu 8.10 installed flawlessly. I installed the iso desktop cd onto a formated hard drive. I ditched XP for good.
    The laptop runs much faster than it did on XP.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast