Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Terrible opengl, direct rendering interaction

Beans

Re: Terrible opengl, direct rendering interaction

Thanks Temujin, that thread looks promising though it will take me a little while to work through it, I'm unfamiliar with git. However, the main problem I'm having is that OpenGL doesn't seem to be working at any virtual screen size. Any suggestions on how to fix that?

Let me ask you the same question I asked Thelasko--since I'm having this problem both with my i945 Dell Laptop *and* a Mac Pro with an ATI Radeon X1900 graphics card--what happens when you run 'glxgears' on your system? What happens when you click on the frame, and drag it somewhere else? Do the spinning gears come with smoothly and effortlessly, or do the gears remain where the window was originally until you release the mouse? Do the gears 'float' on top of other windows? Any other repaint problems?

NB, opengl works pretty well in Windows on my Dell--The game 'Sauerbraten', a Quake-like first person shooter built with opengl, renders at 60 fps, which seems pretty good for full screen graphics. The only thing it can't do are high-level things like the surface of water. So as that bug report suggests this isn't a hardware problem for the Dell either (and obviously not for the Mac).

Best,
    Matt

Beans

Temujin,

I went ahead and installed that driver on the bug report you mentioned--

http://gitweb.freedesktop.org/?p=xor...1118362ac95034

but still

Code:
    $ glxinfo -l | grep GL_MAX_TEXTURE_SIZE
       GL_MAX_TEXTURE_SIZE = 2048
    The new driver did appear to improve my rendering--thanks--though it's still not as fast as it is under Windows XP. Also, it didn't help with any of the other problems I'm having unfortunately. I reconfigured xorg.conf as directed in their README, as well.

Matt

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I finally ran glxgears on my machine with the Intel graphics card. I don't normally post with this machine. It behaved the same way you described, I think it's normal.

Beans

You may want to play (don't install) with an Ubuntu 9.04/Jaunty LiveCD and see if there's any improvement there. Intel driver development has been extremely active over the past year.

Beans

Temujin,

Thank you! I will definitely look into that. I have updated to Ibex on the Mac without improvement, but if I could get things working on the laptop that would be great.

Best,
    Matt

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123