Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why I'm Thinking of Leaving Windows

Beans

Why I'm Thinking of Leaving Windows

To start I've been using Linux off and on for about 2 years so I'm confident in my ability to use the OS without much problem.

However to get right into it, Windows license fees are going to bury me. Having mostly wasted well over 600 dollars on license fees on Vista for 4 computers I can't be expected to shell up another 600 for Windows 7 just to get a working OS that I was supposed to have already. So that's why I'm considering moving all 4 PCs to Linux.

I know all of them are compatible with Linux so I'm fine there. It's just the usage I'm worried about. For example, I know I can convert my WMA lossless music collection into FLAC without a problem but is there any decent alternative to running Windows Media Center? The family is planning on moving to AT&T U-Verse, will it activate in Linux, or better yet, will the technicians know how to manually activate?

I could go on with examples but those are two that are killing me right now and that I can't seem to find an answer to. I guess I'm just looking for guidance or some similar stories. It's not that I hate Windows or Microsoft, it's just that the licensing is starting to really grate on my nerves...and my bank account.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Why I'm Thinking of Leaving Windows

there is alternatives to windows media center http://www.linuxpusher.com/product_i...oducts_id=1171

i got this pack my self but i ended up using a crunch bang linux iinstall with a hauppage tv card as media center. i use elisa (found in repos) and i have all my movies ripped with dvd::rip and my music i ripped using the sound-juicer cd ripper.

i have some great 3d games i found for my brother and i have supertux on it. i use xine as my dvd player and rytmh box as my music player and i have made elisa autostart and i use auto login so when i turn on the computer i can just sit down and use the remote to choose what music or video to watch or listen to but then if i want to be more specific wiht playlist or play a game of supertux i turn of elisa and use the other programs instead.

i did never need to convert anything so i dont know anything about that . it should be doable however.

hope this somehow helps.
    good luck.
    please buy this online only compilation to support victims of japan. http://www.punk4japan.com/

Beans

Talking Re: Why I'm Thinking of Leaving Windows

Quote Originally Posted by LTM View Post
    To start I've been using Linux off and on for about 2 years so I'm confident in my ability to use the OS without much problem.

However to get right into it, Windows license fees are going to bury me. Having mostly wasted well over 600 dollars on license fees on Vista for 4 computers I can't be expected to shell up another 600 for Windows 7 just to get a working OS that I was supposed to have already. So that's why I'm considering moving all 4 PCs to Linux.
    Just for interest I read something ,that Microsoft is going to give Vista owners free update to Windows 7. (don't know how accurate the info is...)

I know all of them are compatible with Linux so I'm fine there. It's just the usage I'm worried about. For example, I know I can convert my WMA lossless music collection into FLAC without a problem but is there any decent alternative to running Windows Media Center?
    EDIT:
    Sorry I half read what you where asking.
    Yes. Amarok is one of them. and if you are a winamp fan try audacious

The family is planning on moving to AT&T U-Verse, will it activate in Linux, or better yet, will the technicians know how to manually activate?
    no idea, don't have AT&T in South Africa

I could go on with examples but those are two that are killing me right now and that I can't seem to find an answer to. I guess I'm just looking for guidance or some similar stories. It's not that I hate Windows or Microsoft, it's just that the licensing is starting to really grate on my nerves...and my bank account.
    I don't hate Windows, it just does not compare to Linux.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

as far as att uverse, i believe it will be hooked up to regular router, so there should be no problems there. but why not just keep 1 windows machine ready just in case you need it for initial setup, then you can switch it over to linux after.

Beans

Honestly, keeping a machine with Windows for the activation was exactly what I was thinking of doing but was more just curious as to whether it would work or not under Linux.

Just had another question pop into my head. I have a Media Center remote from Microsoft and was wondering are they supported at all?

And another quick one, how is gapless playback support in any of the programs?

Thanks for the answers so far, I appreciate the help.

Beans

WHOA! Stop right there! DO NOT get U-verse! They have a 8GB download and upload cap and Linux updates can easily exceed that in a month. Go for Comcast, they have a 200GB download and upload cap.

If you go with AT&T, you may very well regret it. And don't listen to FUD about Comcast. They DO NOT block port 80, and they DO NOT interfere with BitTorrent any more, due to the FCC stepping in.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Just had another question pop into my head. I have a Media Center remote from Microsoft and was wondering are they supported at all?
    i have used mythbuntu and the microsoft media center remote, and it worked OK. most of the important buttons worked, (channel, volume & record) but not all. however, as i understand it, the lirc file can be configured to include extra buttons.

Beans

I know all of them are compatible with Linux so I'm fine there. It's just the usage I'm worried about. For example, I know I can convert my WMA lossless music collection into FLAC without a problem but is there any decent alternative to running Windows Media Center? The family is planning on moving to AT&T U-Verse, will it activate in Linux, or better yet, will the technicians know how to manually activate?
    my ISP is bellsouth and I haven't had a single problem connecting to the internet. Getting the actual technicians to manually activate it is another thing since at the time I was still using Windows XP.

WHOA! Stop right there! DO NOT get U-verse! They have a 8GB download and upload cap and Linux updates can easily exceed that in a month. Go for Comcast, they have a 200GB download and upload cap.

If you go with AT&T, you may very well regret it. And don't listen to FUD about Comcast. They DO NOT block port 80, and they DO NOT interfere with BitTorrent any more, due to the FCC stepping in.
    WHOA! Stop right there! DO NOT get Comcast, everybody I know who uses it complains about it's reliability all the time. As for AT&T, I've had them for years and I haven't had any problems.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I made the switch to Linux some time ago - like some twelve months ago - I got rid of Vista Ultimate (still got the disk etc) completely off of my computers though my wife still carries XP on her laptop and my son has gone for the XP64 on his new 1.5 terabyte machine! However I moved over to Ubuntu/Kubuntu 8.10 in a dual boot setup on my main machine. On my spare machine in the corner, I've got another dual boot setup with Suse 11.1 and Mint6, though I'm thinking of putting Fedora 10 in Mint's place as Fedora is the outward footprint of RHEL - and knowing what that distro is working towards is forearmed!

I love Ubuntu and Kubuntu I don't find one better than the other - just that they are both different like a man and a woman - they each have their virtues and weaknesses and both complement each other. As for Text Editors (just to give you my 'spin' on it) I think I prefer 'Emacs' to 'Vim' or 'Vi' for that matter - though I'm willing to think differently if someone can convince me that Vi/Vim is better - but that's for the future - assuming there's enough pieces to pick up after the brawl over what Text editor is best !

Terabyte1

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by C!oud View Post
    WHOA! Stop right there! DO NOT get Comcast, everybody I know who uses it complains about it's reliability all the time. As for AT&T, I've had them for years and I haven't had any problems.
    Try downloading a large amount of pictures over 8 GB, you'll lose your internet service. Whereas with Comcast, you will need to download over 200GB worth of pictures in a month to lose your service.

I've had Comcast for years and it's wonderful. 700 kb/s downloads, works with Linux... You see my point.

BTW- If you want a router go for a Linksys, they can be set-up online rather than via a Windows-only CD.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast