Thread: linux mint-looking for play stuff off external media players

Beans

linux mint-looking for play stuff off external media players

Hi.
    I have a tv, but it ain't working. it doesn't really matter as regards dvds as I can play those on the computer. But I also have stuff on vhs, I can hook up the dvd/vhs player to the computer via a scart lead. But I still need a program to play them through, or is it a plugin?
    M

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Re: linux mint-looking for play stuff off external media players

You need to have hardware capable of video capture, such as a tv-tuner card or similiar, then you'll need to use some linux video software to actually play back the video. I know I can set up any kind of input in mythtv (which if you don't know is home theatre linux software), so I'm sure it's possible, but if you just want to watch a vhs or two, mythtv is way overkill, I'm sure there are other applications that can do this. You might want to try some web-cam type programs that just play back the video, I suspect also that mplayer/mencoder/ffmpeg or vlc could probably do this as well although I'm not sure off the top of my head.

The most important part though is that you be sure you have hardware that can actually capture video, and that said hardware is linux-compatible. Most computers/video cards do not have video in, and a lot of wierd 3rd party cards may not be well supported in linux.
    Sharing Wifi Is Caring Wifi {o,o} Ubuntu Community Docs..
    |)__)
    -”-”-
    O RLY?

Beans

Re: linux mint-looking for play stuff off external media players

Thanks. Yes, I have a video capture card, but don't know if it's linux compatible.
    m