Page 1 of 77 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Challenge for all you Microsoft haters!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thumbs down Challenge for all you Microsoft haters!

Having an opinion for something, like Linux, is not difficult and it is easy to then demonize and put down the "competition", like Microsoft, at every turn.

Unfortunately this is also part of the criteria of a fanboy, or fanatic.

The question is, can you say something positive aboue Microsoft? Can you actually "see" from the other person's point of view?

Since there are so many arguments both for- and against-Microsoft there has to be some merit to both sides of the coin, but can you find it?

I've noticed a growing anti-Microsoft feeling but I wonder if it is blind following the herd like sheep or are you actually making a choice?
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Challenge for all you Microsoft haters!

Microsoft needs to be applauded for its ability to buy its way to being the primary gaming OS.

im running out, lol. Microsoft office is easy to run in wine, so that never felt like a true reason either.

I guess it also needs to be said that overall, windows probably supports more hardware out the box than any linux distro - but its still a toss of the coin if it all works.
    Bare in mind that most people had windows pre-installed for them when they picked up their 'puter from the store.
    Said it before and ill say it again, gaming is where windows has people cornered, otherwise, i see absolutely no reason to use windows, unless their hardware really isnt compatible for linux, which is rare in my opinion.

Need to quickly add : used to LOVE encarta
    Last edited by ambidextrousone; February 12th, 2009 at 03:16 PM.
    "Technology frightens me to death. It's designed by engineers to impress other engineers, and they always come with instruction booklets that are written by engineers for other engineers - which is why almost no technology ever works." -John Cleese

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I used to enjoy playing Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator and Motocross Madness 2.

I'm impressed with Bill Gates' commitment to spend his personal wealth on good causes.

That's all I can think of to say about Microsoft that's positive.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Windows doesn't have as many graphical glitches. MS did a darn good job on MS Office 2007. Windows Mobile is pretty good, much better than PalmOS and Blackberry OS. Halo. They make good mice.

Other than that, the only other thing that makes Windows better is hardware and software support. But that's not really to MS's credit, other than that they were shrewd enough in the business world to push their OS to the top.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans

A few of my favorite games run better on XP Battlefield 2, Battlefield 2142. Actually I dont think they run in Ubuntu even in wine.

Thats my positive
    Registered Linux User #486440

Beans

Ive switched back to XP from ubuntu on my home machine as linux doesnt cut it for the apps I need.

XP is a decent, stable, quick OS when you strip it all down. I uninstall every MS app and component I can and replace them with 3rd party alternatives. XP runs great then.

XP is faster than OSX.

I like the fact that every app I need has an XP client which works great.

I have no problems with MS behaving like a business. Businesses look to screw everyone, thats how they make money. If it wasnt MS at no1 then it'd be someone else.

I think Steve Ballmer is funny.

I think Bill Gates is a top man for his foundation and charity work.

The more I use linux on the desktop, the more I see its limitations. It desperately needs 3rd party commercial apps.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Office 2007 is by far the best word processor I have ever used. Microsoft has also done a great job with the visual effects when logging in to Vista or Windows 7 - it looks so seamless.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Visual Studio is the best IDE ever written. People will argue that you can only write .Net langauges on it. But that is not the point. If you could program other languages in Visual Studio you would. It's just that great (And the complete reason I keep an XP VM around).

Beans

Without Microsoft, we wouldn't be where we are today, and the GUI would probably be very different. Our GUI was influenced a lot by both Microsoft and Apple.

Not a Microsoft hater, just felt like posting that.
    See my themes here! | Dont preach Linux, mention it | Make GNOME Themes
    I'm no longer on here. If you want to talk to me, go to noost.org.
    My DeviantArt | Linux user #461096 | Ubuntu user #15753

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

They've done a lot for computing in general. Nobody can deny that.

Also +1 to Office 2007, I do like it (though it seems to do nothing but crash on my systems for some reason, so I only use it at Uni for now).

Also their hardware is actually pretty decent. My mouse is an MS mouse, I've had it for years (at least 3). And yes, that last comment did also include the Xbox 360. I know the RROD was a pain, but I think they've sorted it now, and either way, the replacement program they have is brilliant (yes I've used it)

Page 1 of 77 1231151 ... LastLast