Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I have returned to ubuntu... But some questions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: I have returned to ubuntu... But some questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Quake View Post
    Edit: Btw, who tried both versions before settling on one? Which version was the fastest on your comp?
    Phoronix ran some comparisons.

As expected 64 bit was much faster in encoding tasks.

I have tried both, 64 is definitely much faster doing CD/DVD ripping and .avi converting.

This guide shows how to very easily install 64-bit flash, although it's an Alpha, it works very well indeed.
    There's a newer version available to download on the Adobe website.

These days there's no reason to run 32-bit, it's like buying a six cylinder car and running it with two spark plug leads disconnected.

If you have a separate /home you can install 64-bit and keep the existing /home from your 32-bit installation without formatting it or deleting any files.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I've been using 64bit for 3 years now on my desktop and I haven't had any issues with it. flash now has a real 64bit plugin, sun released an official 64bit java plugin recently. My laptops wireless drivers were even open sourced and now work on 64bit.

I think if you want to you should give the world of 64bit a go

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

With GNU / Linux for example Ubuntu I see no reason to install the 32bit version on a 64bit processor. So my suggestion is go with 64bit.

One suggestion: If you plan to install Ubnutu restricted extras (mp3, avi, TrueType flash etc) install that first and then follow the instructions in the guide above to install the 64bit flash from Adobe. Although this is an "alpha" it is really stable.

By the way the 64bit flash for GNU / Linux is the only native 64bit version of flash available since there is at this time no 64bit Windows or Mac versions of flash.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by jrusso2 View Post
    I would say with under four gigs of ram and being a newbie to stay with 32 bit. There are things you will need to know to get everything working in 64 bit
    That's like saying that you should stick with Windows because "there are things you will need to know to get everything working in Linux". But in reality there's darn near nothing extra that you need to do for 64-bit Ubuntu to work just as well as 32-bit.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Edit: Btw, who tried both versions before settling on one? Which version was the fastest on your comp?
    i didn't notice any difference. i think that unless you are doing some SERIOUS number crunching, 32bit is just fine. but the 64bit fanboys will have you believe that it's 80,000 times faster, anticipates your every move, and tucks you into bed at night.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Joeb454 View Post
    Personally, I'm running 64 bit so well, I actually forget sometimes
    i do to until i see "error wrong architecture"...

and when i hack asm cause i am borded

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I think since Linux doesn't have a big market yet, it's easier for the platform to migrate and test 64 bit.

So I think I'm going to take the leap... No stability problems whatsoever with Flash 64 bit? Every programs that you need has been compiled in 64 bit? The Nvidia driver is stable?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I think since Linux doesn't have a big market yet, it's easier for the platform to migrate and test 64 bit.
    Wonder if all those web servers are 64-bit...?

So I think I'm going to take the leap... No stability problems whatsoever with Flash 64 bit? Every programs that you need has been compiled in 64 bit? The Nvidia driver is stable?
    1: I've not had any bother with 64-bit flash
    2: Never had to compile anything, the repos for 64-bit are well populated with all manner of software
    3: Don't have any Nvidia graphics adapters.

You'll get answers here though: http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=343

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by gn2 View Post
    Wonder if all those web servers are 64-bit...?
    I was talking about the desktop market share since I know Linux literally controls the world (servers)...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I have installed Ubuntu 8.10 64 bit, so far, no problems... except that I found the mouse a little slow. So I kept on changing the gnome mouse options but it just made it worse (I wish the mouse option was as straightforward as Windows).

Where's mouse file config so that I can make the changes there and can somebody give me the default values? Thanks

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast