Thread: newbie returning to Ubuntu....two problems....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Question newbie returning to Ubuntu....two problems....

OK....I use to use an older version of Ubuntu on an old G3 iBook a few years ago. The old iBook finally up the ghost and I picked up an HP dv6815nr for dirt cheap......

After my oexperience with OS X and Ubuntu I find that Vista is killing me....

Anyway after a few years I am having trouble on two fronts:

1) Graphics: I have a INVIDIA GeForce Go 7150M. I used Envy to install the proper driver and all appears well. When I go to save the setting I get the following error
    " Failed to parse existing x config file '/etc/x11/xorg.conf'
    and when I click OK and try to save the back-up I get
    "unable to create new x config backup file '/etc/x11/xorg.conf'"

When I restart the computer it reboots in 800 X 600 resolution and I have to do the whole thing again.

2) While booting.....When I am at the boot screen with the orange progress bar the boot process does not progress unless I click a button on the keyboard. It doesn't even matter which button. Every time I press a key the boot progresses. I end up clicking the keys a hundred times to get it to finish booting. It's the weirdest thing. No error messages appear. If I do not press a key, the orange progress bar does not progress and the hard drive light doesn't blink at all.

Any help would be appreciated. I thought that setting up the Atheros wireless would be the biggest bitch, but that was remarkably easy.

Thanks,

Shawn

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: newbie returning to Ubuntu....two problems....

BTW....I'm using 8.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: newbie returning to Ubuntu....two problems....

I have this same notebook, but I am completely new to Ubuntu. Could anyone please post links to drivers?

STUMPOFWAR, Where did you find the Antheros driver?
    I have been searching and searching, but no luck. But, I am not very computer savvy.

-William

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Lightbulb Re: newbie returning to Ubuntu....two problems....

There is a little quirk with installing drivers in Ubuntu, so I'd imagine this would be one of those instances. What you need to do is plug into the internet through a normal ethernet cable, get your updates for Ubuntu, restart, go to Administration> Hardware Drivers. Then, all the drivers you need will be there.
    I don't suggest using Envy.

Good luck.
    Visit my site at https://truefla.me/ or follow me on Twitter: @Truefire_

My main machine is a HP DM4-1265dx laptop, though I do have a custom gaming/media desktop as well.