Thread: GPG - Gnome keyring cleartexts passphrase

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

GPG - Gnome keyring cleartexts passphrase

I use the gnome keyring manager to cache and unlock my gpg passphrase on login. However, when looking under passwords and encryption > passwords > show password this password is shown in cleartext.

Can anyone confirm if it is stored in cleartext or how I can either hash this password so that it isn't so clearly available.
    Box 1 | Xubuntu 12.10 64 bit | Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S3H rev2 / AMD 5900+ | 250Gb Hitachi SATA / 4Gb RAM
    Ubuntu User #14507[/U] | GPG Key 0xBE7E87FD

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: GPG - Gnome keyring cleartexts passphrase

I'd like to know that too. It seems that large part of security in Ubuntu rely on user login password and if it get compromised, the user is "compromised" too All passwords are visible, content of Private folder is accessible too. I'm not sure if it's a good idea that so much depends on user login pass.

Of course, one can change password in Seahorse to access other passwords and that they're not unlocked upon login but after entering that new pass. Still, it's pretty inconvenient.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by ushills View Post
    I use the gnome keyring manager to cache and unlock my gpg passphrase on login. However, when looking under passwords and encryption > passwords > show password this password is shown in cleartext.

Can anyone confirm if it is stored in cleartext or how I can either hash this password so that it isn't so clearly available.

See http://live.gnome.org/GnomeKeyring/SecurityPhilosophy

It is not stored in the clear, but it is displayed in the clear when you are authenticated.
    This APT has Super Cow Powers.

Beans

If the password in your keyring was hashed, then it would be useless.

The point of a password keyring is to remember your passwords so that they can be used by other programs once you've logged in. This means that it's possible to read your passwords from your keyring (if you've logged in already with your own password) - that's the whole point of the keyring.