Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Triple booting Leopard/WinXP/Kubuntu - can't start Windows

Beans

Exclamation Triple booting Leopard/WinXP/Kubuntu - can't start Windows

OK, so:

I just started using Linux yesterday (literally).
    I had heard there were certain procedures to go through when triple-booting on a MacBook, including setting up Linux on a partition preceding that of Windows, which I did.

I'm using rEFIt to boot up. It works fine.

BUT, here's where the problem comes in: Windows is listed as an option under GRUB. And whenever I try to boot to it, it gets to the Windows splash, then flickers a BSOD for a split second and instantly reboots.

If it helps any, my HDD is split into 5 partitions:
    • dev/sda1 - free space (FAT32)
    • dev/sda2 - Mac OS X
    • dev/sda3 - Kubuntu
    • dev/sda4 - WinXP
    • dev/sda5 - swap for Kubuntu

I had already installed WinXP before I installed Kubuntu.
    HELP! I really need to be able to use Windows again...

Oh, yes. I should also make it clear that I'm running Kubuntu 8.10, if that helps.
    Last edited by rogueofmv; February 11th, 2009 at 12:54 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Triple booting Leopard/WinXP/Kubuntu - can't start Windows

First off, welcome to Linux, I hope you enjoy it.

Windows is really picky about how it needs to be started, I don't know about the macbook aspect, but this is what I had to do to get my desktop to boot windows.
    (my entry in /boot/grub/menu.lst for windows)

Code:
    title		Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    root		(hd1,0)
    savedefault
    makeactive
    map		(hd0) (hd1)
    map		(hd1) (hd0)
    chainloader	+1

The "make active" "map"s and "chainloader" lines are all necessary, and the grub website can explain it much better than I can. You could probably copy the above, change the root (hd1,0) line to match your partition scheme and be ok.

As with everything, you can make things ALOT worse playing around with this, so read the documentation and be careful.

(and keeping a good live cd on hand can go a long way towards making it easy to get things back when you mess up)

Grub's documentation page on multi booting with windows

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by drumfire420 View Post
    First off, welcome to Linux, I hope you enjoy it.

Windows is really picky about how it needs to be started, I don't know about the macbook aspect, but this is what I had to do to get my desktop to boot windows.
    (my entry in /boot/grub/menu.lst for windows)

Code:
    title		Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    root		(hd1,0)
    savedefault
    makeactive
    map		(hd0) (hd1)
    map		(hd1) (hd0)
    chainloader	+1

The "make active" "map"s and "chainloader" lines are all necessary, and the grub website can explain it much better than I can. You could probably copy the above, change the root (hd1,0) line to match your partition scheme and be ok.

As with everything, you can make things ALOT worse playing around with this, so read the documentation and be careful.

(and keeping a good live cd on hand can go a long way towards making it easy to get things back when you mess up)

Grub's documentation page on multi booting with windows
    After reading the documentation, it appears to me that this applies only to systems with multiple hard drives.
    All my OSs are on the same HDD.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Have you tried booting with a Windows recovery CD and do a

Code:
    fixmbr
    ?
    I would rather be Ubuntu-ing.

Don't shake my hand. I don't want your germs.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cjv8888 View Post
    Have you tried booting with a Windows recovery CD and do a

Code:
    fixmbr
    ?
    Sadly, I've lost my Windows CD since I installed it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Did you move the windows partition with Gparted then install or did you shrink MacOS X to install kubuntu?
    ECS Black Series GF8200A NVIDIA GeForce 8200 HDMI
    AMD Phenomx4 9650 2.3ghz Quad-Core
    4048MB DDR2 1066Mhz Ram
    Nvidia Geforce 9500GT 1gig dedicated Ram

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by KuroYoma View Post
    Did you move the windows partition with Gparted then install or did you shrink MacOS X to install kubuntu?
    I shrank Mac OS.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

The thing I am wondering then is if when you select ******* if ******* is still looking at the partition right after osX. If so then it would explain the quick crashing. If you could I would boot into a linux live distro and go to your windows boot.ini and make sure it is pointing to the proper partition. beyond that you may want to try Grub but I am not sure how well it works with Mac, never used Mac before. Beyond that I would suggest download and iso file of your version of ******* and burn it to a disk so you can try the fixmbr command thing.

hope this helps

if you do decide to try grub I would suggest downloading the Super Grub CD before you do so that you have the tool you need to fix grub.
    ECS Black Series GF8200A NVIDIA GeForce 8200 HDMI
    AMD Phenomx4 9650 2.3ghz Quad-Core
    4048MB DDR2 1066Mhz Ram
    Nvidia Geforce 9500GT 1gig dedicated Ram

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by KuroYoma View Post
    The thing I am wondering then is if when you select ******* if ******* is still looking at the partition right after osX. If so then it would explain the quick crashing. If you could I would boot into a linux live distro and go to your windows boot.ini and make sure it is pointing to the proper partition. beyond that you may want to try Grub but I am not sure how well it works with Mac, never used Mac before. Beyond that I would suggest download and iso file of your version of ******* and burn it to a disk so you can try the fixmbr command thing.

hope this helps

if you do decide to try grub I would suggest downloading the Super Grub CD before you do so that you have the tool you need to fix grub.
    Funny you should mention fiddling with the boot.ini.

I actually already tried that; at first, I was getting a "corrupt hal.dll" error upon booting, and when I opened the boot.ini in Linux, I noticed that it WAS, in fact, pointing to the wrong partition (partition 3).

So I changed it to the correct one (partition 4), and that's how I ended up in this boat. Windows is completely there, but it's bluescreening now.

Beans

Like others before me, I don't know anything about Mac, but I understand Mac OS X is based on Unix and Unix partitioning can get pretting strange in it's nomenclature. Maybe what you have partitioned is fine, but in windoz & linux, no way could you have a primary partition on sda4 and still have a sda5 partition. For example, here is a copy of the partitioning of my second hard drive. Make believe it is the first hard drive. Look at sdb4.
    Disk /dev/sdb: 19457 cylinders, 255 heads, 63 sectors/track
    Units = cylinders of 8225280 bytes, blocks of 1024 bytes, counting from 0

Device Boot Start End #cyls #blocks Id System
    /dev/sdb1 0+ 2676 2677- 21502971 83 Linux
    /dev/sdb2 2677 5353 2677 21503002+ 83 Linux
    /dev/sdb3 5354 8030 2677 21503002+ 83 Linux
    /dev/sdb4 8031 19456 11426 91779345 5 Extended
    /dev/sdb5 8031+ 8161 131- 1052226 82 Linux swap / Solaris
    /dev/sdb6 8162+ 19456 11295- 90727056 7 HPFS/NTFS

If that was my 1st hard drive, I'd put windoz first and the rest would just fall in naturally. An operating system on an extended partition is impossible. If sdb4 (or sda4) is a primary partition, you can't have any sdb5 (sda5).

What's the output of sfdisk -l or fdisk -l ?? Also, give us the output of df -h .

You might try running gparted (just to look) and see what you get. Download the CD if you have to.

luck,

lynn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast