Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Theora 1.0 released

Beans

Re: Theora 1.0 released

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Kilkenny View Post
    Theora is not in HTML5 spec.
    HTML5 doesn't specify any codec when it comes to video -element.
    I know, that's not what I mean, I was referring to Firefox's implementation and decision.

TenPlus1 is online now Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Smile Re: Theora 1.0 released

As far as I'm aware, Opera has included Theora also for html5 video formatting...

I've ripped a DVD and saved as Theora and the quality and size are really good, no problems so far... I cant wait until it's implemented web-wide...

Beans

Good to hear that, but I think Opera can't go its own way because its market share is too low to get people to adopt its decision.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by cl333r View Post
    I know, that's not what I mean, I was referring to Firefox's implementation and decision.
    And I was actually referring to first post

Anyway, if Apple (+Nokia) and maybe Microsoft decide not to use Theora then using theora in FF or Opera is basically useless. Whole point of video-element was to have one way of doing things. Atm it looks like Opera and Mozilla are on their own and that doesn't fix the web. Actually is just causes more fragmentation.

And Opera doesn't have a need to go its own way as they have probably the most standard compliant browser and lots of people working with web specs (WHATWG, W3C, etc.).
    Last edited by Colonel Kilkenny; February 11th, 2009 at 09:21 PM.
    Vera! Vera! What has become of you?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
    my only problem with theora is that it uses keyframes, so while switching around in a movie, you get garbled video for a bit (or a long time depending on how they encoded it, more or less keyframes) until it reaches another keyframe and its fine.
    All standards use intra-frames/i-frames/keyframes.

Xiph is working on a new encoder called Thusnelda now that is much better than the original and is comparable to Xvid, but x264 is still on top.

I'm more interested in Dirac than Theora, though.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by Judo View Post
    All standards use intra-frames/i-frames/keyframes.

Xiph is working on a new encoder called Thusnelda now that is much better than the original and is comparable to Xvid, but x264 is still on top.

then what makes it so other formats can seek to a certain spot in a video so much better then theora?
    Jabber: markgrandi[at]gmail.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
    then what makes it so other formats can seek to a certain spot in a video so much better then theora?
    theora isn't the best of codecs but it's patent free. you should see some of the <video> stuff that you can do. way better then flash. and CPU negligible.

i also noticed this in VLC (diffrent format/codecs) so it may not be a theora problem.
    WARNING: "sudo rm -rf /" = BAD Read this for more information.
    Q6600-Abit IP35-2 GB RAM-250GTS 1GB

*Docky FTW!*

Beans

It's the quality. In order to have the same quality, thoera must be massive in size. Where as H264 can fit much more in a smaller space. If you see a video in h264 that is of low quality, then you will really notice the artifacts.
    TWIBS: This Week in BS:
    http://feeds.feedburner.com/TWIBS

Beans

Xiph is working on a new encoder called Thusnelda now that is much better than the original and is comparable to Xvid
    Sounds intresting. How about encoding speed?

Yesterday I tried to rip DVD with theora. Oh my there are blocks everywhere even at -v 8. -v 10 is not even transparent to a human eye and bitrate is just massive over 6000 kbps and with x264 at 2000-2500 kbps I couldn't see the difference in terms of which one is better the source or the rip. IMHO even mpeg-2 preserves more details but mpeg-2 is of course worse when it comes lower bitrates.

+1

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12