Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Why Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Why Ubuntu?

Quote Originally Posted by Vince4Amy View Post
    software takes ages to install etc.
    my packages never take more than 5-10 seconds to install.that isn't fast enough?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SunnyRabbiera View Post
    I also feel distros like Slackware or Arch too advanced for the common user, compiling packages and stuff like that is great for the advanced user but for the everyday user its a totally alien concept.
    However, they probably don't have to compile from source on a system like Slackware because creating packages is so simple. I know what you're really saying here, and I mostly agree - automation is "good" for most users. However, the packaging example isn't really the best.
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfen69 View Post
    give a total newbie a slackware cd, tell him to install it, and see how "easy" it is.
    Ease of use is entirely subjective.
    if you like yum, that's fine. but apt is widely known to be the best, fastest package management around.
    It also has really nasty output. If you don't care about the output (or feel that the features outweigh the issues), that's totally you choice. But watching apt-get install packages makes me queasy.

Beans

my packages never take more than 5-10 seconds to install.that isn't fast enough?
    Nope, not compared to pkgtools, zypper or pacman. There really is a huge noticeable difference.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Ubuntu because it's easy to set up, I can start doing things right away after installing it, almost no need to tweak. Great community, and good experiences with apt. Also having an LTS version is nice.

The SuSe people are working hard though... Each release is more polished and more stable then the other... They are making a lot of progress. Every new openSuSe release get's installed by me. So far liking 11.0 best. I know there is Enterprise SuSe Linux... But an openSuSe LTS... Hmmm...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345