Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why Ubuntu?

Beans

Re: Why Ubuntu?

Quote Originally Posted by handy View Post
    I'll tell you why Ubuntu:

Ubuntu due to the huge amount of work that it's dev's do, on top of the huge amount of work that the Debian dev's do, has manifested the easiest opening for non-Linux people to access a Linux distro.
    That's not to say I use Ubuntu these days though, I've been on Arch since the beginning of last April.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I use Ubuntu because:
    - Most release are stable
    - It detects all the hardware on all my machines
    - It is easy to use and configure
    - The best community support and documentation (you can always find the answers to your problems)
    Do you folks like coffee?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I don't. I prefer FreeBSD, but use Ubuntu for helping around the forums more easily and because it has a great community.
    Spiralinear: Humanity & Machines
    RUNNING: Fedora | FreeBSD | Windows 7

Beans

I don't use Ubuntu either, I use Fedora.
    • I find yum much nicer to user than apt. Why is there apt-get, aptitude and apt-cache? Why does 'apt-cache search' need root privileges? It's just a mess.
    • I also dislike Synaptic. The categories it uses are really messy. Amateur radio? Electronics? Why list multiverse and universe separately? Packagekit is way nicer and it is still under heavy development.
    • Many Ubuntu packages are sorely out of date. Eclipse for example is ancient. OO.org 3 isn't even in there yet is it? Having a large package database is useless if stuff has to be installed separately.
    • There is no DVD install. Most distros have this and it makes customizing the installation a breeze.
    • The default look of Ubuntu is awful. Fedora comes up with a great new look for each release.
    • Lack of root user by default annoys me. I know why it is done for Ubuntu, but it still annoys me.
    • The fact that Ubuntu, Kubuntu and Xubuntu (not to mention others) parade around as separate distributions annoys me.
    • The Ubuntu community is mostly good but filled with a lot of inexperienced users. The bug #1 mentality also attracts a lot of irritating zealots.
    • Fedora's upcoming release is named after Leonidas whereas Ubuntu's is named after diseased rabbits.

Ubuntu is good for beginners because it is so popular and because of Wubi. I personally don't like it though.

Beans
    Distro

my main laptop has elive-compiz on it... i still test jaunty to see what's new

but whenever i install something not elive, i feel bad and go straight back to it

recent points that turned my main lappy from jaunty alpha to elive-compiz development:
    * no sound in multiple programs
    * weird error in compiz window titles (now resolved)
    * weird error about some networking problem (no problem actually)
    * because of last point slow gnome startup
    * my other ext3 partition NOT mounted by default
    * system fonts way too huge by default
    etc...
    Last edited by meborc; February 11th, 2009 at 06:39 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Sorivenul View Post
    I don't. I prefer FreeBSD, but use Ubuntu for helping around the forums more easily and because it has a great community.
    I'm a bit like you too, I use FreeNAS which is built on FreeBSD, IPCop which is built on whatever variety of Linux (I forget), Arch for my day to day machine; in the past I used Sabayon for many months as my 2nd box's consistent OS; being used for web reference when no.1 machine is being tinkered with, & for playing Oblivion via Cedega. I'm between distro's on that box at the mo' as the latest Sabayon won't install on the hardware & it trashed the previous install in upgrade mode. (I know, I know, but I really didn't care about what was on the drive so I gave the upgrade a chance... ).

I have other drives for the 2nd machine, 1. with Arch on it & another with XP. The XP drive hasn't had anything to do for so long (it's been used briefly about 3. times in as many years) that it will get used in an IPCop or FreeNAS standby box, as the boot drive (cause it's only a 13Gb drive) when required.

I have some other drives which get used as test drives for different distro's & relatively rarely for a BSD.

I think it is really cool, that so many people who frequent the Ubuntu forums are multi-distro-centric, (I include BSD & Solaris in that definition too). I leave windows & OSX out, just because they really are different. They are commercial & don't really have a broadminded community behind them, like I like to think the FOSS systems do.
    Last edited by handy; February 11th, 2009 at 06:42 PM.

Beans

I started with fedora but I hated the RPM system. I then moved to debian and really liked it but with it's focus on free (libre) software it's sometimes frustrating getting proprietary software (flash player, DVD playback, etc.) to work. I then tried ubuntu, found it to be a nice balance and have pretty much stuck with it for the past 2 years or so. I've been thinking about trying arch linux as I would like to better customize my system by building my OS from the ground up but I don't have any spare systems right now and am content with how my computer is working enough to not want to really experiment with it. I'll probably try it out in a VM for awhile and if I like it migrate next time my computer FUBARS.
    Do not be afraid to joust a giant just because some people insist on believing in windmills.
    Free Moonbase Commander remake @ http://code.google.com/p/tether

Beans

I use Debian... But Ubuntu is good because it has a BIG community, polished GUI, reasonable security out of the box, good software included, and it is built on the reliable Debian kernel.

But the Linux I prefer is Debian as it comes with less junk, resulting in it being faster. It also gives the user a bit more control.

But for people who want a system that 'Just works....' Ubuntu is great.

Arch is good, but I found that it had features that were too unstable due to Arch's cutting edge nature. I prefer to use features that have been tested loads first.
    Last edited by SunSpyda; February 11th, 2009 at 07:58 PM.
    "The Map is Not the Territory" - Alfred Korzybski

Beans

Sorry, my browser screwed up and posted twice....

How do I delete posts?
    Last edited by SunSpyda; February 11th, 2009 at 07:59 PM.
    "The Map is Not the Territory" - Alfred Korzybski

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by fistfullofroses View Post
    I agree almost completely.
    Slackware is the easiest.
    Slackware is the most simple.
    Slackware works on almost anything.
    give a total newbie a slackware cd, tell him to install it, and see how "easy" it is.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast