Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Ubuntu?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Why Ubuntu?

I currently use Arch, but I love Ubuntu because it's easy to set up and learn, and the community is great. Everything pretty much works out of the box, although there are some downsides to that.
    Want a quality CD ripping program for Ubuntu? Check out my how-to: Installing Rubyripper on Ubuntu!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by cardinals_fan View Post
    Debian packaging makes me sick to the stomach.
    wow. nothing linux makes me sick to my stomach. windows on the other hand....

i like ubuntu because of the community aspect and the fact that it has always worked great for me. mandriva is a close second.

Beans

I don't, Slackware is awesome because of the way that everything is so simple to use. I can also use the Menu install option to choose whatever I like in my system and not worry about Packages removing other packages even if they don't depend on each other.

For example on Debian I couldn't remove things I didn't need like Bluez, Ekiga etc without taking half if not all of Gnome with it.

I use OpenSuSE when I do installs for customers is it offers the best Out of the Box experience when installed properly. It's very snappy on most hardware, doesn't use many resources & YaST allows anybody to change their configuration with ease.

I also hate debs, apt and anything associated with Debian package management. It just seems like a big mess to me.

Beans

I'll tell you why Ubuntu:

Ubuntu due to the huge amount of work that it's dev's do, on top of the huge amount of work that the Debian dev's do, has manifested the easiest opening for non-Linux people to access a Linux distro.

Beans
    Hidden!

I don't, I use Arch currently. Pacman, the AUR, and complete from-the-ground-up install brought me to it from Ubuntu. I still hang around here for the huge community though.
    arch 2008.06
    Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6850 | Asus Maximus II Formula | EVGA 8800GT Superclocked | 4GB G.Skill DDR2-1000 | Zalman ZM600-HP

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Vince4Amy View Post
    I don't, Slackware is awesome because of the way that everything is so simple to use. I can also use the Menu install option to choose whatever I like in my system and not worry about Packages removing other packages even if they don't depend on each other.

For example on Debian I couldn't remove things I didn't need like Bluez, Ekiga etc without taking half if not all of Gnome with it.

I use OpenSuSE when I do installs for customers is it offers the best Out of the Box experience when installed properly. It's very snappy on most hardware, doesn't use many resources & YaST allows anybody to change their configuration with ease.

I also hate debs, apt and anything associated with Debian package management. It just seems like a big mess to me.
    I agree almost completely.
    Slackware is the easiest.
    Slackware is the most simple.
    Slackware works on almost anything.
    OpenSuSE is best-out-of-box

(SuSE would run on 800mhz, 64mb RAM, 8gb HDD, with only 133mhz FSB, haven't tried with OpenSuSE on that hardware, but I am sure it would work on something equally old, maybe just more RAM)
    if (linux == choice) {lsb != linux;}
    else {linux = windows;}

http://one.xthost.info/aios

Beans

I don't. I prefer opensuse and fedora because they look more professional, I like their sysadmin and security tools.

Beans

Definitely the community... these forums are so good, even people who don't use Ubuntu are regular posters here.

Beans

I agree almost completely.
    Slackware is the easiest.
    Slackware is the most simple.
    Slackware works on almost anything.
    OpenSuSE is best-out-of-box
    Exactly!

Beans

For me I like Ubuntu and debian based systems for good reasons.
    Debian package management in my opinion is better then RPM, mainly because of apt.
    Most RPM distros in my experience break too easy, and its a real pain keeping them up to date as an end user.
    I also feel distros like Slackware or Arch too advanced for the common user, compiling packages and stuff like that is great for the advanced user but for the everyday user its a totally alien concept.
    I like my system to be easy to use and maintain, and in my personal experience debian and ubuntu fit the bill.
    HOME BUILT SYSTEM! http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22804/ Please vote up!
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast