Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone upgrade to 10.04 yet?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Anyone upgrade to 10.04 yet?

So, since 10.04 LTS is out, is anyone upgrading there System76 PCs yet? I know in the KB it is suggested to wait a week or two after a major release so the server loads for the Ubuntu release return to a normal level so it doesn't take eons to do the upgrade, but is anyone doing a clean install? If doing a clean install, is it hard to re-enable the System76 drivers or add the System76 repository? Just curious, because despite using Linux Mint for almost a year I'm by no means a pro.

/side note Enabled
    Speaking of Ubuntu and Linux Mint, man I forgot what a pain it is to get music/video files to play right out of the box in Ubuntu. Grrr. It would be nice if they just included the restricted drivers/codecs/content (whatever it was called in the Software store) in the installation. Not sure why something that would be so simple to include in the default installation isn't included. For me it took me awhile to figure it out because I was so used to it working out of the box with Mint, that I forgot what i had to do with Ubuntu. Again, if you're semi-tech savvy it isn't a big deal but I could see how it would be a turnoff for beginners just delving into Linux for the first tme.
    /side note Disabled

-Juelze

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Anyone upgrade to 10.04 yet?

It's not hard. The instructions in the sticky will walk you through it.
    To err is human, to forgive is very ... dog-like.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by juelze View Post
    It would be nice if they just included the restricted drivers/codecs/content (whatever it was called in the Software store) in the installation. Not sure why something that would be so simple to include in the default installation isn't included. For me it took me awhile to figure it out because I was so used to it working out of the box with Mint, that I forgot what i had to do with Ubuntu. Again, if you're semi-tech savvy it isn't a big deal but I could see how it would be a turnoff for beginners just delving into Linux for the first time.
    This is due to legal restrictions in some countries. Mint flies under the radar and they probably don't worry about it too much, but Ubuntu decided to do things by the book.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by thomasaaron View Post
    It's not hard. The instructions in the sticky will walk you through it.
    Are you referring to the instructions here?

http://knowledge76.com/index.php/LucidUpgrade

If so, are you're doing a clean install, wouldn't the System76 drivers and the the System76 repository be wiped clean as well? Sorry, it might be common sense to everyone else, but I'm still a bit of a n00b when it comes to Linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Yes, those instructions -- if you're doing the online upgrade.

Also, yes. If you do a clean install, it wipes your the driver from your repositories. If you're doing a clean install, though, you would use these instructions. They will get your driver / repositories all set up.
    To err is human, to forgive is very ... dog-like.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Juelze
    Sorry, it might be common sense to everyone else
    Don't worry. I've had to post for more information on tutorials I did not understand.

An online upgrade is when you start with what is already on your computer (probably Karmic) and use the Update Manager or Synaptic to change it into Lucid. That is this set of instructions:
    Quote Originally Posted by Juelze
    Are you referring to the instructions here?

http://knowledge76.com/index.php/LucidUpgrade
    The S76 driver will be disabled and the instructions include a step in which you recover it.

Clean install refers to wiping your hard drive and reinstalling everything from a CD or USB, the 76 Repository, and whatever you use to back up your data.
    Quote Originally Posted by sticky
    Instructions for doing a fresh install are here for laptops and desktops, and here for netbooks.
    The S76 driver will be wiped out with everything else and the instructions include steps to re-install it.

Whichever you choose, I hope you enjoy Lucid as much as I am enjoying it. I did a clean install of the RC and updated from there.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by thomasaaron View Post
    Yes, those instructions -- if you're doing the online upgrade.

Also, yes. If you do a clean install, it wipes your the driver from your repositories. If you're doing a clean install, though, you would use these instructions. They will get your driver / repositories all set up.
    Ugh.

"Boot from the CD by pressing either the Escape key, F8, F10, F11, or F12 (Depends on your system)"

You know, it would be nice if we knew what to press for our specific system. I've rebooted my PC several times now hitting the buttons to no avail. Ugh. Time for yet another reboot.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

So after several hard restarts (which are always gentle on PCs) it's the F11 key. Much to my dismay, the frakkin' CD, once I click on "Install Ubuntu" just restarts and brings me back to 9.10. Serenity now!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Well, I'm throwing caution to the wind and doing the upgrade feature straight from the Update Manager. I know there is an "important" warning on System76's knowledge base, but I see no notes of it being detrimental, only that it will take a long time based upon heavy server loads. Leaving my PC on and going to bed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Well, I'm successfully running 10.04. However, I'm hearing a "sizzling" sound coming from my computer (no joke) which seems to be coming from the fan (or at least it seems to be) that sits on top of what I assume is the CPU. It almost sounds like the noise from a hard drive, but the hard drive isn't reading/writing. As I'm typing this, sound of it has changed, still there, but a different pattern...and it's back doing it again. Grr.

Thomas, what's my next step? This sound was not there when I first got my Meerkat Ion, but I imagine that this is one of those things where I send my PC in, and you guys won't be able to duplicate it and I'll be stuck without a PC for weeks again. Suggestions?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast