Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Ubuntu 8.10 and ZTE USB MF636

Hi Cheyenne, as the lsusb command gives:

Quote Originally Posted by CArrowsm View Post
    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 19d2:2000
    You have to:

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeVita View Post
    2. The modem responds 19d2:2000 (as the internal CD drive or USB hub) but we need the actual modem (19d2:0031). You may use a special program called usb_modeswitch (see http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1017630) but I preferred to send the AT command AT+ZCDRUN=8 from a Windows PC to the modem (use hyperterminal or add it as an extra init command through control panel).
    This command turns off the AUTO RUN function of the internal CD, if you want to return to default you have to send AT+ZCDRUN=9 (info taken from www.matt-barrett.com).

Test again the terminal command lsusb to be sure you have 19d2:0031
    The simplest is to use a PC running windows, add an extra init command (through control panel, modem & dialling properties) the AT+ZCDRUN=8, try to connect once (ignore the error message) and remove this extra command (through control panel). Then in Ubuntu command lsusb will see 19d2:0031, you have to follow steps 3-5 (Ubuntu 8.10).
    NOTE: If you want to restore original mode you have to send AT+ZCDRUN=9

G

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I think I've got this working with an MF627 (3 signal too low here to be quite sure, but the dongle does pop up under network manager). The key is indeed to block the auto run CD image. Only problem is although I did this under Linux using the special AT command AT+ZCDRUN=8, I cant remember how I did it (a month or so ago), and I need to be able to reverse it!
    I did not use hyperterminal, nor minicom, nor modeswitch. Can anyone describe how to do the mode switch under linux, using a simple AT command?

By the way what was the answer about the onboard microsd card problem?

Beans
    Distro

answering my own problem - starting to remember now.
    Instead of ye-olde hyperterminal I used gtkterm.
    In intrepid just open a terminal and enter: sudo apt-get install gtkterm
    Then start it by entering: gtkterm
    You also need to know the port number that has been assigned to the modem - which you can find out by entering (into another terminal since the first one is occupied with gtkterm): dmesg | grep tty
    This should enable you to find the tty number associated with the modem
    One you have it, you can select it from the gtkterm port list
    After that if I remember correctly the modem is continuously trying to autorun, which hangs up the port - so simply enter ctrl-c to stop it.
    You should then be able to enter standard modem AT commands. Test it by entering: AT - the modem should respond 'OK'
    So now you can enter the command: AT+ZCDRUN=8 to kill the auto run virtual CD and AT+ZCDRUN=9 to switch it back on again.
    In fact you never need the autorun virtual CD from the modem unless you are installing the software on a windows PC for the first time - so normally it is ok to leave the CD autorun function switched off even if you use windows PCs - once you installed the windows SW you don't need it again

Anyway that's all fine to get the actual modem responding properly to lsusb with 19d2:0031

Once you have done that the rest of the process described by GeorgeVita below is fine (the bit I didnt get till today was the HAL part in step 4)

(I'd still like to know about the microsd slot in the modem though)
    Last edited by spegru; March 26th, 2009 at 05:40 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Hi spegru, I fully agree with:

Quote Originally Posted by spegru View Post
    In fact you never need the autorun virtual CD from the modem unless you are installing the software on a windows PC for the first time - so normally it is ok to leave the CD autorun function switched off even if you use windows PCs - once you installed the windows SW you don't need it again
    if we see it from Ubuntu side, this function is a problem! Although it is simple to send a simple AT command from terminal with the echo command:
    echo AT+ZCDRUN=9 > /dev/ttyUSBx will restore the original state but then the modem is unusable.

A note for echo command (from a terminal window):
    echo 123 prints text "123" to our screen
    echo 123 > /home/g/Desktop/newfile.txt creates the file newfile with contents 123 at Desktop of user g
    echo Another Line 456 >> /home/g/Desktop/newfile.txt appends to above file a new line "Another Line 456"
    echo ATZ > /dev/ttyUSB0 resets a modem connected as /dev/ttyUSB0

Also about the microSD I did not manage to use it till now.

Beans

I have followed the instructions by GeorgeVita and found them most helpful. It’s the closest I have come to being able to connect to my ISP (Bigponds 3G in Australia). When I connect it goes through the process of trying to connect but then I get a message saying that the modem has disconnected. Even though the Network Manager detects the modem it doesn’t seem to want to let me connect. I am knew to Linux so I cant give you any outputs as I don’t know the commands to get them if that would be helpful you to you if you tell me what to do I will get this information for you.

Is there anyone here who has successfully got this modem (ZTE USB MF636BP) working with Telstra’s Bigpond in Australia? Or could you direct me to somewhere on the forum where I might be able to find some answers?

Thank you.

Beans
    Distro

Hi joeyjoey, suppose you have Ubuntu 8.10:

right click Network Manager icon, Edit Connections, Mobile Broadband, Add, be sure you have Australia, it has 3 Telstra options.

Did you try the correct? Also check that you do not use the SIM PIN check (some users note that Network Manager have a problem on this). And as a final check be sure that you are dialing the correct number and the APN which shown when you are editing the connection. Ask your provider to be sure.

Regards,
    George

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

one thing to maybe be aware of using the said above method(i used something similar whilst using 8.04 with my modem in post #4) and my modem failed after about a month or so,so i left it in for repair...the modem came back still no go.
    my dad has a similar modem from "3 network uk" and his sim card ran fine in the modem(the repaired modem),the problem was the sim card(which "3"dont ask for in the modem repair process) so i sent of for a new sim card,tried it and everything was ok(now on ubuntu 8.10 by this stage)
    so on other words my modem and simcard were both fried by a hack similar to this post.....it may be just a coincidence that i had faulty hardware,i dont know,just maybe a word of warning here possibly............ i noticed the modem was heating more than usual with this method ,but hopefully it was just a bad modem. ...now i have noticed running my modem in ubuntu 8.10 it is dog slow,and hardly ever use it,say waiting more than a minute for homepage google to appear........god "3 network is ****....lol... (sometimes the hardware just cant take it...lol...)
    using.... ACER ASPIRE ONE and ACER ASPIRE 5332
    running.... Ubuntu 12.04

Beans

I am happy to say this is being posted from Ubuntu and not Windows. I had to change the APN to telstra bigpond as suggested. Thanks for these posts. I can now migrate totally to Linux thanks to this. Cheers

Beans
    Distro

thanks GeorgeVita, I guess echo......> tty is even simpler and certainly better than resorting to windows hyperterm! But did you get any problem with the autorun virtualCD preventing you from entering the command?

On a general point about 3g dongle networking it has to be said that the 3G signal is not very reliable, especially indoors, so anyone trying this and having problems do not assume it is a linux problem. Try outside or by connecting your dongle via a long usb extension cable out of the window - it really does help sometimes. Basically if your linux box appears to even try to go online then probably the dongle is working fine. Really, dongles are like a complete mobile phone,just missing the keyboard screen and battery - not like the old winmodems we used to use on dialup, when the OS was doing alot more work and drivers were really complicated.
    APN and username settings are also very important, as is the DNS server (the thing that translates between websites and real internet addresses) - Three UK's DNS is very poor and often seems to prevent access to websites even when apps like Skype are working OK. I have recently been manually setting the DNS server to OpenDNS 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 because of that

On the point about this particular dongle, I am interested to know if there is another way to stop the autorun virtual CD. I am guessing that there is a usb hub inside that gives access not only the virtualCD but also the microsd slot - so the AT command kills both. I assume windows does not do this and yet it must also need access to the actual modem. Is there some command that just stops the autorun rather than killing the internal usb hub? What does windows do? Some usb command sniffing would seem to be in order, but I dont know how to do that..........
    Last edited by spegru; March 28th, 2009 at 02:09 PM.

Beans
    Distro

... echo......> tty is even simpler and certainly better than resorting to windows hyperterm! But did you get any problem with the autorun virtualCD preventing you from entering the command?
    The echo AT+ZCDRUN=9 > /dev/ttyUSBx only can be done! This restores the modem to "windows peripheral" mode. After this I had to go back to a windows PC to AT+ZCDRUN=8 as when the modem is in the 19d2:2000 mode Ubuntu cannot usbserial it (no /dev/ttyUSBx).

On a general point about 3g dongle networking ... Really, dongles are like a complete mobile phone,just missing the keyboard screen and battery - not like the old winmodems ...
    Strongly agree with you, they are more like external modems where their internal CPU takes care about the actual connection. From my experience most problems in my 3G/HSPA connection (stuck, low speed, etc) caused by my provider.

About the microSD card reader:
    Booting with the modem attached to the USB port, the system assigns /dev/ttyUSB0-1-2 (not 3), the Network Manager connects using /dev/ttyUSB0 (!) and looking at Places you can reach microSD reader and ZeroCD s/w!

Don't ask me why, just test it.

Regards,
    George

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast