Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommend backup software?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Recommend backup software?

Can anyone recommend a decent piece of backup software?

What I'd really like to do is to define directories that are to be backed up, then kick back with a book and pop another blank DVD into the burner after each one finishes. Or, failing that, have a series of 4.7 GB .iso images created.

My strong preference would be to have the DVDs contain just files that are being backed up, not compressed or encoded archives ... and definitely not in some unusual format that requires major effort to extract. I want to be able to just drag-and-drop the backed-up files back onto my hard drive if necessary, preferably from any computer, regardless of OS.

I've been burning data DVDs manually with Brasero since switching to Linux, but my music collection has grown out of control, and it's just too much work anymore to guess at combined files sizes of folders for the forty DVD-ROMs that would be required.

Any suggestions?
    Current box: Sony VAIO VGN-FZ250E, Ubuntu Oneiric.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Recommend backup software?

I'd suggest an external hard drive formatted as FAT32. Then use nightly or weekly rsync to keep data syncrhonized. I've always thought the best backup system need only to be monitored, not actively initiated. You'll quickly get tired of burning discs.
    Why can't life have a sudo apt-get install -f command?
    Install VMWare Server 2 on a text-only system
    Need help getting your printer working in Linux?
    It's all about choice, right? Then stop flaming Windows users.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I second lazyart's recommendation. DVDs are relatively fragile and much less flexible in terms of functionality. You can automate your backup with a number of programs so you never have to think about it.

Alternatively to rsync, you could use a program called "Simple Backup" which I use for all my backup. It's in the repositories(Applications->Add/Remove...)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

why fat32? I'd use a linux filesystem and make incremental snapshot-style backups.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by lazyart View Post
    I'd suggest an external hard drive formatted as FAT32. Then use nightly or weekly rsync to keep data syncrhonized. I've always thought the best backup system need only to be monitored, not actively initiated. You'll quickly get tired of burning discs.
    Amen to that ... already tired of burning discs. What a good idea! I'll have to pick up an inexpensive external drive on my next payday.

I hate to admit this, but the rsync man page makes my eyes glaze over. Can you point me to a tutorial somewhere that might show me how to set up what you're suggesting?

Many thanks.
    Current box: Sony VAIO VGN-FZ250E, Ubuntu Oneiric.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by pmooney78 View Post
    I hate to admit this, but the rsync man page makes my eyes glaze over. Can you point me to a tutorial somewhere that might show me how to set up what you're suggesting
    there are many howtos on rsync out there. you might want to fire up google and do a search

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

And you can use it with a graphical interface with Grsync (from the repositories).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I use the following command:
    Code:
    rsync -av --progress --delete /mnt/data1 /media/usba
    All my music, videos etc. are in various folders under 'data1'.
    The backup partition on my external drive is labelled as usba so it mounts automatically at /media/usba.
    When first run, this will do a full backup; subsequent runs just apply the necessary changes.
    -a = copy file attributes unchanged, as you normally want for backups (more to it than that but that's the basic idea)
    -v = verbose = extra output
    --progress = progress bars for each file
    --delete = any file you delete will also be removed from the backup.
    I also backup /home in the same way.
    I always keep my external drive disconnected and powered down when not in use so if my PC blows up (like my last one did - flames and all!) there's no chance of it frying the backup drive.
    I'm thinking of getting a small fire-proof media safe to keep it in.

If you've got a lot of data and it can't be recreated easily, I'd still do ocassional backups to DVD-R or similar. If your main hard drive gets corrupt and you don't notice, you might copy the corruption to the external backup.
    In the past I've used a tool called 'dar' (disk archive) - this can split the backup into DVD size chunks. I think it's in the Ubuntu repositories (I haven't used it recently - I'm not currently practicing what I preach on the DVD front, but I have bought a pack of 50 for when I get round to it!).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Try junglebackup (admittedly it is not free), however, I use it and can access from any pc either through a web interface or mounted drive.

Seems to be quite cheap for server storage a couple of $ per month for my 7Gb.
    Box 1 | Xubuntu 12.10 64 bit | Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S3H rev2 / AMD 5900+ | 250Gb Hitachi SATA / 4Gb RAM
    Ubuntu User #14507[/U] | GPG Key 0xBE7E87FD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by hyper_ch View Post
    why fat32? I'd use a linux filesystem and make incremental snapshot-style backups.
    OP wants to drag and drop from any OS.
    Why can't life have a sudo apt-get install -f command?
    Install VMWare Server 2 on a text-only system
    Need help getting your printer working in Linux?
    It's all about choice, right? Then stop flaming Windows users.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast