Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ZNet interviews Richard Stallman

Beans

Re: ZNet interviews Richard Stallman

Quote Originally Posted by BSDFreak
    Last time i heard that argument it was made by an evangelical christian.
    Nice start.

The problem with your statement just like with his statement is that there is no one single truth to this, it comes down to personal opinion and belief rather than hard facts since you cannot measure value in lines of code.
    Just claiming that there is no single truth to it doesn't make it so, I'm afraid. Looking at any Linux distro you'll easily see that the all rely heavily on GNU sofware.
    Just for fun, what would a GNU/Linux distro be without:
    http://directory.fsf.org/GNU/

To sum it up, whether you like it or not, the contributions of the GNU project are significant and are so fundamental that no Linux distribution would and does for that matter work without them. This isn't subjective, it's simply a fact. Live with it.

Beans

To sum it up, whether you like it or not, the contributions of Benjamin Franklin and electricity are significant and are so fundamental that no Linux distribution would and does for that matter work without them.

To sum it up, whether you like it or not, the contributions of Leibniz and the binary number system are significant and are so fundamental that no Linux distribution would and does for that matter work without them.

Leibniz/Franklin/GNU/Linux!

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

Quote Originally Posted by Knomefan
    Nice start.
    It's a statement which is true (the last time *I* heard), and there is absolutely no offense intended.

Just claiming that there is no single truth to it doesn't make it so, I'm afraid. Looking at any Linux distro you'll easily see that the all rely heavily on GNU sofware.
    Just for fun, what would a GNU/Linux distro be without:
    http://directory.fsf.org/GNU/
    I gave my explanation to why and i'm getting tired of ALWAYS having to repeat myself in discussions with you but i'll do it once more in this thread too "value cannot be measured in lines of code".

To sum it up, whether you like it or not, the contributions of the GNU project are significant and are so fundamental that no Linux distribution would and does for that matter work without them. This isn't subjective, it's simply a fact. Live with it.
    There are no replacements for GNU software that would work just fine with Linux? I'm sorry but you are wrong, OTOH, the Linux kernel is just as replacable and since "value cannot be measured in lines of code" i'd say you are wrong.

Beans

I gave my explanation to why and i'm getting tired of ALWAYS having to repeat myself in discussions with you but i'll do it once more in this thread too "value cannot be measured in lines of code".
    Where did I say I want to measure it in lines of code?
    I said it was essential to Linux distribuitons, how is this measuring in lines of code?
    And btw., I'm really getting tired of you not being able to make a coherent argument at least once.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Gadren
    To sum it up, whether you like it or not, the contributions of Benjamin Franklin and electricity are significant and are so fundamental that no Linux distribution would and does for that matter work without them.

To sum it up, whether you like it or not, the contributions of Leibniz and the binary number system are significant and are so fundamental that no Linux distribution would and does for that matter work without them.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

that was a good read. there's tons of stuff i could pick apart, but his general views are really good.

i really liked the end about trusted computing, it really makes you want to go for the underdog

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

I personally defend that we should say Gnu/Linux and not just Linux , and not just because RMS is my idol ( i have a mind of my own , i dont agree with him at 100% at all his ideas) , but because the Gnu project made Linux possible .

Yes RMS is not perfect , yes Linux has got it´s own credits , but hey , is that hard to add Gnu/ before you say the word Linux? and when you want to refer to the Linux itself which is a kernel , if you call Linux to the whole thing is not a litle confucious?

So say Gnu/Linux , and the only diference will be that you will be giving credit to all those people behind the Gnu project.
    There is only one god, and Ubuntu is its prophet.

Beans

Too funny!

Iandefor is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Hidden!

And let's not forget the Arabs for coming up with one-half of the binary number system- 0! Unnamed Arabic Mathematicians/Leibniz/Franklin/GNU/Linux forever!

IMHO, you're exactly right.
    This space intentionally left blank.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

the difference is that Unnamed Arabic Mathematicians/Leibniz/Franklin didn't have direct authority over the direction of the product. GNU/Linux is software, and at the software level the only parties directly involved were GNU and Linux.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast