Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: How to disable ipv6 in Jaunty

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: How to disable ipv6 in Jaunty

Quote Originally Posted by slashdotfx View Post
    maybe you could add post-up in /etc/network/interfaces to delete the ipv6?
    I've read somewhere in the web, you could delete the ipv6 interface, like

ifconfig eth0 inet6 del fe80::219:dbff:fe65:f3de/64
    This might work in Hardy, but Jaunty handles networking in userspace via network-manager.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dmizer View Post
    Type
    Code:
    sudo su
    Enter your password.

Copy/paste this command:
    Code:
    echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/all/disable_ipv6
    Check to make sure the file has changed:
    Code:
    cat /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/all/disable_ipv6
    If it has, type:
    Code:
    exit
    It's exactly what I've done! without results.
    Anyway, I published the "dirty solution" (you can translate the blog with the bottom-left widget)
    Last edited by bigo72; April 17th, 2009 at 01:15 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Hello,

I read the entire thread and I have to say that I face problems only with opera at the moment. Firefox is working as it should.

I had problems with hardy too, yet at the beginning both of these browsers was working nicely. Disabling ipv6 I was able to have back both browsers.

I will try not to mess with kernel configurations just to have opera working. Maybe the 10th version of opera will fix that?

Regards!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I've been running Opera 10 beta for awhile now and it does not have the option to disable ipv6 like FF does .
    if it ain't broke you haven't tweaked it enough

Beans
    Distro

Hello,

Quote Originally Posted by ronacc View Post
    I've been running Opera 10 beta for awhile now and it does not have the option to disable ipv6 like FF does .
    so you say that even without having to disable ipv6, opera 10 (alpha and not beta at the time of writing) is working nicely to you?
    I do not think that it is a matter of disabling it or not (firefox seems to work ok with it), yet how opera can behave with this enabled, at least this is what I think. Prior versions than the 10th of opera do not seem to get along very well with ipv6.

Regards!

Beans
    Distro

yes opera 10 works fine without ipv6 being disabled UNLESS your isp or router does not support ipv6 in which case ANY app that accesses the net would have problems unless they could be configured ( like firefox ) not to use it .

Beans
    Distro

Hello,

Quote Originally Posted by ronacc View Post
    yes opera 10 works fine without ipv6 being disabled UNLESS your isp or router does not support ipv6 in which case ANY app that accesses the net would have problems unless they could be configured ( like firefox ) not to use it .
    thank you very much for the info. I will expect opera 10 to arrive then.

Regards!

Beans
    Hidden!

Are people looking to disable ipv6 because they are having trouble related to ipv6?

There was a bug related to ipv6 dns lookups, but a fix has been submitted and is in the current Jaunty RC. If you do not have any interfaces with global ipv6 addresses on them, glibc should be skipping the ipv6 lookup, which should result in firefox, etc. working correctly without having to do anything to disable ipv6. If there are still outstanding ipv6 related issues that can only be resolved by disabling ipv6, it would be helpful if people would open bugs related to the ipv6 issues ... not simply look for ways to disable ipv6.

We do not want new users to give up on Ubuntu due to these types of problems, and I don't think it's reasonable to expect a new user to be able to figure out that ipv6 is the problem and then figure out how to disable it.

Beans
    Distro

we weren't looking to disable IPV6 because we hate it, of course we were having problems with it . thats why there are posts and threads all over the forums telling people how to disable it (prior to kernel 2.6.28-4 where it was built in rather than loaded by module).I am still checking to see if the "fix" has permenently resolved the issue for me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I am looking to disable ipv6 because I have a big problem with it. I can't connect to my router to get online. The debug log says it is because it cannot find any ipv6 routers. Although this problem is causing me to hate it a bit. If anyone knows some way around that without disabling ipv6, then that would be great too.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345