Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: OpenSuse = Windows Vista for linux?

Beans

Re: OpenSuse = Windows Vista for linux?

I don't know what the heck you installed on it, but OpenSuSE Runs much faster than Ubuntu on my Desktop, it also uses less memory and YaST is really powerful.

But then again Novell works a lot with Microsoft...
    By the way I'll clear this up now, if you object to a Distro made by Novell because of that very reason, Linux is not for you. Novell contribute considerable amounts of code to:

The Kernel
    Gnome
    Evolution
    OpenOffice
    etc

All of the above are to be found in Ubuntu so using that is not a valid argument.
    Last edited by Vince4Amy; February 10th, 2009 at 02:37 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by unplugged23 View Post
    Hey there,

I was dual booting ubuntu and OpenSuse for awhile just to try out some of the different linux distros, and i pretty much hated suse It was slow, laggy, crashed a lot and generally a pain in the butt. I hated the guts out of all of my drivers, audio and video. And it didn't seem to care to much for system stability. Sorry if any of you out there are big fans of OpenSuse, but im just curious to see if anyone else had en experience like I did with it.
    It works just as fine as Ubuntu and other distros on my setup and I didn't have any of the problems you mentioned. I actually prefer openSUSE to Ubuntu because of YaST (not the packaging tool, but the control centre) and just how it looks and feels a bit more professional.

Oh, how I HATED Yast. If your not careful that thing will screw up your partition by recommending all the wrong mount points and flags. I also really didn't like the UI a whole lot
    They are just recommendations and you are free to change them if you don't like them.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I agree as well opensuse ran veryslow and even froze up within like the first half hour of using iT! But thats just for me...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by unplugged23 View Post
    But then again Novell works a lot with Microsoft...
    FUD.

This is covered many times in many places around the forums. Despite the often excellent explanations and opinions on the matter, the original statements, "straight from the horse's mouth", offer a more orderly and informative approach. Examining the following will hopefully help clarify the Novell-Microsoft agreement for others:
    Novell and Microsoft - Working Together for Customers (From Novell)
    Open Letter to the Community (From Novell)
    Microsoft and Novell Collaborate (From Novell)
    Microsoft & Novell Interoperability Collaboration (From Microsoft)
    Microsoft and Novell Collaboration FAQ (From Microsoft)
    Novell and Microsoft - Interoperability (Joint Project)
    Spiralinear: Humanity & Machines
    RUNNING: Fedora | FreeBSD | Windows 7

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Sorivenul View Post
    FUD.

This is covered many times in many places around the forums. Despite the often excellent explanations and opinions on the matter, the original statements, "straight from the horse's mouth", offer a more orderly and informative approach. Examining the following will hopefully help clarify the Novell-Microsoft agreement for others:

Thanks for the links very helpful.

I really like openSuse 11.1. Very stable and responsive. The Yast Control Center makes it easy to do any of the system configuration and install hardware, basically everthing pertaining the system is there.

Yast is working just fine, a bit slow at times, but not always.

Novell has contributed much to Linux. OpenOffice is a great program and Novell gets much credit for that.

If you don't like openSuse you have a choice.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Sorivenul View Post
    FUD.

...okay, I've read it... This means that Novell SLES(D) will be the only OS allowed to legally (based off EULA) virtualize any MS sku. MS hates the idea that no real enterprise is willing to run their server products on bare iron anymore, namely using *nix as host and running a couple of Win2k3 server vm(s) inside. (That's the part that kills them). These are not informative and I'm not trying to sound like the 'boycott Novell' website either. This explains nothing! I still haven't found any reason for Novell to sign a patent co-op, isn't an NDA good enough? When all is said and done, Mono will only be able to be run on SuSE... Read the open letter to the community again. This sounds like if you run anything other than Novell w/ MS in a heterogeneous environment you will be sued. The part that I didn't see was it is stipulated (I'll have to find it, it's great) that these patent and working together follies ONLY cover SLES(D), NOT openSuSE.... By the by, why wouldn't Novell issue a statement like that about 'we don't agree w/ MS on the patent issue'? They're customers would already be indemnified anyways...

Registered Linux User #419773, Ubuntu User #8473 ("It Is What It Is")

If you type rm -Rf / as root at command line you will get herpes... then die... (okay, it'll erase ALL your data)

Beans

openSUSE 11.1 doesn't support JFS. Deal-killer for me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

actually,YaST is one of the things that made me love opensuse,it makes u control the whole system,without having to edit text files,the package manager isn't that good,but it does the job

Beans

The agreement is available in the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission web site: http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/da...82exv10w35.htm

But you can just read the short version (http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/da...26782e10vk.htm):
    Under the Patent Cooperation Agreement, Microsoft agreed to covenant with our customers not to assert its patents against our customers for their use of our products and services for which we receive revenue directly or indirectly, with certain exceptions, while we agreed to covenant with Microsoft’s customers not to assert our patents against Microsoft’s customers for their use of Microsoft products and services for which Microsoft receives revenue directly or indirectly, with certain exceptions. In addition, we and Microsoft each irrevocably released the other party, and its customers, from any liability for patent infringement arising prior to November 2, 2006, with certain exceptions. Both we and Microsoft have payment obligations under the Patent Cooperation Agreement. Microsoft made an up-front net balancing payment to us of $108 million, and we will make ongoing payments to Microsoft
    Plus the 3.4 part:
    Nothing in this Agreement shall imply, or be construed as an admission or acknowledgement by a Party, that any Patents of the other Party are infringed, valid or enforceable.

Both Microsoft and Novell said "we will not sue your customers", that does NOT means that:
    a) I'm able to sue your customers
    b) I will not sue you

Even if the agreement meaned so... if Novell was acknowleding that Linux was violating Microsoft patents, then Microsoft was also acknowleding Windows was violating Novell patents... patents that probably are part of the Open Invention Network, so other members, like Red Hat, can use them.

But since the agreement doesn't protects Novell, only their customers, you can be sure that Novell will not try to use anything with a Microsoft patent.

So...

Quote Originally Posted by dca View Post
    ...okay, I've read it... This means that Novell SLES(D) will be the only OS allowed to legally (based off EULA) virtualize any MS sku.
    No. No idea from where you took that.
    I still haven't found any reason for Novell to sign a patent co-op, isn't an NDA good enough?
    A patent co-op has nothing to do with an NDA, what are you talking about???
    When all is said and done, Mono will only be able to be run on SuSE...
    Once again, false. If Novell infringes any Microsoft patent in Mono Microsoft can sue them (even if not the customers)... so Novell will not infringe any Microsoft patent in Mono.
    By the by, why wouldn't Novell issue a statement like that about 'we don't agree w/ MS on the patent issue'?
    Novell did just after Ballmer said that about Linux infringing 200+ Microsoft patents. I'm not going to search a link, point 3.4 of the agreement is already clear enough.

Why on the hell people talks so much about an agreement that just says "some people will be protected from a danger that doesn't exists" is something I will never understand.
    Last edited by RedDwarf; February 11th, 2009 at 07:31 AM.

Beans

openSUSE 11.1 doesn't support JFS. Deal-killer for me.
    What the filesystem JFS. Yes it does I'm using it, I won't touch ext3 or Reiser because I hate them both.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast