Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: compiz and multiple desktops

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Question compiz and multiple desktops

I just put compiz on my computer on ubuntu 8.10. I can do the spinning cube and cylinder. How do I have multiple desktops open. For example, say I want to be chatting on here and then flip to another screen (ctrl+alt+ mouse hold down) and want to be playing black jack? And on another screen have skype uploaded and on another be working on a OpenOffice presentaion? Is this possible? I think it is. Thanks and totally new user so English is me mother tongue--as apposed to linux lingo yet. Cheers

Beans

Re: compiz and multiple desktops

Yes!
    In compiz under the general settings menu (or something similar) you can change the number of desktops you have open and working. Once you have your preferred amount open, you can open an application on one desktop and send it to another by right clicking on it and selecting the workspace you would like to send it to, or you could just open the program from the desktop you want it on.l

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks for that. Im under the general tab and see the button for show desktop under the "desktop size tab" It won't let me change it from one though? Is this it?

Beans

If i remember correctly (am on slackware linux now so i cant double check) you should have to change tabs from the general menu at the top of the screen. then you should have 3 rows with a slider on them. one being horizontal desktop, another being vertical desktop, and another being number of desktops. I belive you just want to change the Horizontal desktop option to the number of desktops you would like and can leave everything else alone for now.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

That worked great. Thanks for that. I'm not sure why the horizontal one works or what it does but that worked great. Gee, you guys are great help.
    Thanks again. Once I get good at this, I'll be able to help people out too. Cheers

Beans

Great! Good Luck to you, and hopefully you will continue to have a great Ubuntu Experience!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Cheers and I absolutely love it so far. I love my mac too and have always hated MS. So this is great and thanks for the help again. Most appreciative.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

You can set the number of desktops at least two different ways. Right-click on the desktop switcher on the lower panel and select preferences, set the columns to the number you need. the second way is to open System-->Preferences-->CompizConfig Settings Manger, click the General Options button and select the Desktop Size tab, set the Horizontal Virtual Size to the number of desktops you need.

Jim

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Wow, that is great to know too. Thanks for that one too. Love the dog picture too. Thanks again.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    You can set the number of desktops at least two different ways. Right-click on the desktop switcher on the lower panel and select preferences, set the columns to the number you need. the second way is to open System-->Preferences-->CompizConfig Settings Manger, click the General Options button and select the Desktop Size tab, set the Horizontal Virtual Size to the number of desktops you need.

Jim
    Yea, that is nice. I didn't know about that first way either.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast