Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wireless Encryption Problems

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Wireless Encryption Problems

You only need to install fw-cutter once -- repeating the process doesnt help anything.

It sounds like its the order in which you are loading your drivers. Some need to be unloaded prior to loading others -- you just cant keep piling new ones ontop of old ones, and expect the driver attached to the device to magically be reassigned by the kernel.

After you modprobe the device, you phyically need to bring the device up (either manually or wicd does this). The command is sudo ifconfig wlan0/eth1 up

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I did a fresh install of ubuntu and then installed fwcutter. Also the commands that I used were the following

rmmod wl (to unload the wl)
    rmmod wl (just to make sure)
    rmmod b43 (also to make sure)
    modprobe b43 (to load the b43 driver)

then when I add in the ifconfig wlan0 up command that you added it still won't turn the card on. I can only get the card to turn on after I unload the b43 driver and load the wl driver back in. As soon as I load the wl driver the card imedietly turns on. It seems like loading the b43 driver isn't attaching it to the device.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

then when I add in the ifconfig wlan0 up command that you added it still won't turn the card on. I can only get the card to turn on after I unload the b43 driver and load the wl driver back in. As soon as I load the wl driver the card imedietly turns on. It seems like loading the b43 driver isn't attaching it to the device.
    Yes, from your dmesg output in post #20, it looks like b43 is refusing to claim your card. I'm not sure why.

It also appears that you're not the only one having issues with the wl driver and WPA-enterprise networks. Other users report freezes upon trying to connect to university networks; see this bug report. Unfortunately, no one has a solution yet.

I'm thinking that perhaps the best thing to do in this situation, now that we understand it better, is to use ndiswrapper. ndiswrapper is a third driver solution that involves neither b43 nor wl. To get ndiswrapper set up, please plug your computer into the Internet, then run these commands (which are based on this guide):
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install ndiswrapper-utils-1.9 ndiswrapper-common
    echo 'blacklist b43' | sudo tee -a /etc/modules
    echo 'blacklist wl' | sudo tee -a /etc/modules
    wget http://myspamb8.googlepages.com/R174291-pruned.zip
    unzip R174291-pruned.zip
    sudo ndiswrapper -i bcmwl5.inf
    ndiswrapper -l
    sudo depmod -a
    sudo modprobe ndiswrapper
    sudo cp /etc/network/interfaces /etc/network/interfaces.orig
    echo -e 'auto lo\niface lo inet loopback\n' | sudo tee /etc/network/interfaces
    sudo ndiswrapper -m
    echo 'ndiswrapper' | sudo tee -a /etc/modules
    echo 'ENABLED=0' | sudo tee -a /etc/default/wpasupplicant
    Then reboot. Does your wireless work now? If not, what is the output of:
    Code:
    lsmod | grep ndis
    dmesg | grep -e ndis -e wlan
    ndiswrapper -l

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I take it you have seen this page:
    http://linuxfans.betaserver.org/inde...ides&Itemid=61

Seems like as pytheas suggested, Id give ndiswrapper an honest effort!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Alright so I tried to set up ndiswrapper and everything went well. When I i insterted ndiswrapper the turned on I tried to connect to the encrypted network and I the system froze. I wonder if I'm doomed until the initial bug gets fixed. Here is the output. I just started poking around and for kicks looked to see if the wl driver is loaded and it is. I removed it and tryed to load ndiswrapper and now the card won't turn on. grrrrr.

chris@iceman:~$ lsmod | grep ndis
    ndiswrapper 196380 0
    usbcore 149360 9 usb_storage,libusual,ndiswrapper,uvcvideo,usbhid,b tusb,ehci_hcd,uhci_hcd

chris@iceman:~$ dmesg | grep -e ndis -e wlan
    [ 15.630918] ndiswrapper version 1.53 loaded (smp=yes, preempt=no)
    [ 15.658781] usbcore: registered new interface driver ndiswrapper

chris@iceman:~$ ndiswrapper -l
    bcmwl5 : driver installed
    device (14E4:4315) present (alternate driver: wl)

Just for kicks here is the log showing the commands that I used. In case I screwed it up.

Feb 18 14:41:30 iceman sudo: chris : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/home/chris ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/sbin/synaptic --hide-main-window --non-interactive --parent-window-id 39845891 --update-at-startup
    Feb 18 14:50:15 iceman sudo: chris : TTY=pts/0 ; PWD=/home/chris ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/bin/apt-get install ndiswrapper-utils-1.9 ndiswrapper-common
    Feb 18 14:51:05 iceman sudo: chris : TTY=pts/0 ; PWD=/home/chris ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/bin/tee -a /etc/modules
    Feb 18 14:51:13 iceman sudo: chris : TTY=pts/0 ; PWD=/home/chris ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/bin/tee -a /etc/modules
    Feb 18 14:52:34 iceman sudo: chris : TTY=pts/0 ; PWD=/home/chris ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/sbin/ndiswrapper -i bcmwl5.inf
    Feb 18 14:52:54 iceman sudo: chris : TTY=pts/0 ; PWD=/home/chris ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/sbin/depmod -a
    Feb 18 14:53:12 iceman sudo: chris : TTY=pts/0 ; PWD=/home/chris ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/sbin/rmmod wl
    Feb 18 14:53:19 iceman sudo: chris : TTY=pts/0 ; PWD=/home/chris ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/sbin/rmmod ssb
    Feb 18 14:53:22 iceman sudo: chris : TTY=pts/0 ; PWD=/home/chris ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/sbin/rmmod wl
    Feb 18 14:53:24 iceman sudo: chris : TTY=pts/0 ; PWD=/home/chris ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/sbin/rmmod b43
    Feb 18 14:53:33 iceman sudo: chris : TTY=pts/0 ; PWD=/home/chris ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/sbin/modprobe ndiswrapper
    Feb 18 14:53:59 iceman sudo: chris : TTY=pts/0 ; PWD=/home/chris ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/bin/cp /etc/network/interfaces /etc/network/interfaces.orig
    Feb 18 14:54:48 iceman sudo: chris : TTY=pts/0 ; PWD=/home/chris ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/bin/tee /etc/network/interfaces
    Feb 18 14:55:06 iceman sudo: chris : TTY=pts/0 ; PWD=/home/chris ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/sbin/ndiswrapper -m
    Feb 18 14:55:40 iceman sudo: chris : TTY=pts/0 ; PWD=/home/chris ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/bin/tee -a /etc/modules
    Feb 18 14:56:18 iceman sudo: chris : TTY=pts/0 ; PWD=/home/chris ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/bin/tee -a /etc/default/wpasupplicant
    Feb 18 14:56:31 iceman gdm[5700]: pam_unix(gdm:session): session closed for user chris
    Feb 18 14:57:51 iceman gdm[5673]: pam_unix(gdm:session): session opened for user chris by (uid=0)
    Feb 18 14:57:51 iceman gdm[5673]: pam_ck_connector(gdm:session): nox11 mode, ignoring PAM_TTY :0
    Feb 18 14:57:51 iceman gdm[5673]: gnome-keyring-daemon: couldn't lookup keyring component setting: Failed to contact configuration server; some possible causes are that you need to enable TCP/IP networking for ORBit, or you have stale NFS locks due to a system crash. See http://www.gnome.org/projects/gconf/ for information. (Details - 1: Failed to get connection to session: dbus-launch failed to autolaunch D-Bus session: No protocol specified
    Feb 18 14:57:51 iceman gdm[5673]: Autolaunch error: X11 initialization failed.
    Feb 18 14:57:51 iceman gdm[5673]: )gnome-keyring-daemon: couldn't lookup ssh component setting: Failed to contact configuration server; some possible causes are that you need to enable TCP/IP networking for ORBit, or you have stale NFS locks due to a system crash. See http://www.gnome.org/projects/gconf/ for information. (Details - 1: Failed to get connection to session: dbus-launch failed to autolaunch D-Bus session: No protocol specified
    Feb 18 14:57:51 iceman gdm[5673]: )gnome-keyring-daemon: couldn't lookup pkcs11 component setting: Failed to contact configuration server; some possible causes are that you need to enable TCP/IP networking for ORBit, or you have stale NFS locks due to a system crash. See http://www.gnome.org/projects/gconf/ for information. (Details - 1: Failed to get connection to session: dbus-launch failed to autolaunch D-Bus session: No protocol specified
    Feb 18 14:57:51 iceman gdm[5673]: )
    Last edited by iceman_ch; February 19th, 2009 at 04:14 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Sorry, to post twice but I wanted to explain something I found real quick. After checking to see wich driver was loaded using lshw -C network I found I was still on wl. So I removed every driver I could think of wl, ssb, b43, and ndiswrapper. Then I instered ndiswrapper and the card turned back on. I checked ifconfig and found nothing so I brought the card up using ifconfi wlan0 up and now the card is listed. The next problem is I can't see any networks.... I'm going to keep digging to find the command so that I can see it. Then I will try to connect to the encrypted network again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Alright yay!!!! It worked. I got ndiswrapper to work and I am now using an encrypted connection. So even though I had set up ndiswrapper correctly apperently whenever I restart the computer ubuntu loads the wl driver. If I unload every driver that I can think of and then reload ndis it works. The other thing that I had to do was switch back to network manager. WiCd still wouldn't connect but, it wasn't freezing either. Now that it works what do I need to do so that I don't have to unload and reload everything?

Thanks for all of the help

Alright last post for this thread. I went into modules and deleted the lines that said blacklist wl and blacklist b43. I then created a file called blacklist-custom in the modprobe.d directory and add the line blacklist wl to it. Now when I boot the computer ndiswrapper loads and everything works. Thanks again for all of the help. Now it's on to create a custom conky.
    Last edited by iceman_ch; February 19th, 2009 at 05:09 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Glad everything is finally solved. Sorry it took so long.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123