Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why did you use Linux(in general) and Ubuntu(in particular)?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Smile Why did you use Linux(in general) and Ubuntu(in particular)?

I know you guys have reasons why you like using Linux(in general) and Ubuntu(in particular).

Me?
    I use Linux because its free. I choose Ubuntu(in particular) because help is available right away when you're connected to the internet. I have tried using different distributions but in time of problems, nobody seems to help. I've tried posting help in forums but nobody replied. Or take some time before I got a replied.

Well, here in Ubuntu forum, I receive a lot of replies. Very informative. And I've learned a lot in this forum. Every minute, theres a lot of Posts. Questions, Answers, Solutions, and Suggestions. Even HOWTO's.

Thats my reason why I stick to Ubuntu.

How about you guys?
    Why do you choose to use Linux instead of Windows, or Mac, or anything else?

And why Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Re: Why did you use Linux(in general) and Ubuntu(in particular)?

Well, I am about to install FreeBSD in a couple of days, so its close enough

Because it doesent get slower and slower over time, like windows does.
    Something different. Not like Macs, who are sort of manufacturered corporate different. BSD/Linux is really different and cool
    Securtiy and stability. I want to leave my computer doing something unattended for hours or days and have it not crash or freeze.

Beans

Why linux? I have no idea.
    Why ubuntu? I dunno... At first I thought it was only a n00b distro and forgot about it... But then for some reason I tried it.. and it rocks.

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

Linux - because I'm getting tired of taking care of my Windows installation (viruses and so on), because I wanted to try something different, and because I LOVE firefox and it showed me that open source software can be amazingly good in some cases.

Ubuntu - I came because of the philosophy and stayed because of the community.
    The sole meaning of life is to serve humanity
    To me, GPL still means Grand Prix Legends...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Linux because my computer should work for me, not the other way around

Ubuntu because its easy, because it works on the first try, and because apt-get is way better than yum.

Beans

Linux, because of the ideals behind it, and its open source, community driven, free nature, POSIX compilance, plus a few killer Linux apps that will never see a Windows port.

Ubuntu, because of the fact that it manages to

1) Stick to the ideals of Free Software like Debian does
    2) Be cutting edge, push development forward
    3) Be reasonably stable, fast and usable
    4) Gather around it a great FOSS community
    Last edited by 23meg; December 27th, 2005 at 06:17 AM.
    Previously known as 23meg

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

I chose Linux basically because I wanted a change from Windows and liked the idea of an OS which doesn't have any viruses, spyware and all the other things you have to defend from in Windows daily.

I choose Ubuntu, well I didn't choose it really, I worked my way through the distros. As a Windows user I had heard about suse and was aware that they were one of the big players when it came to Linux. Tried suse... mouse and wireless didn't work. That really didn't impress me as the mouse to me seemed a very basic item and if that didn't work then I didn't want to know what else wouldn't! Tried mandriva, screwed up graphics and I got fed up the whole idea you were an outsider and had to open your wallet to get inside some club.

I then went off the idea of Linux for a while as these were the main distros I knew of and I'd had problems with each one. Ubuntu at the time seemed a bit tacky and young - however a month or so later I did try it due to it being only one disc (downloading three is really annoying). Everything worked except wireless, however I eventually figured out how to compile ndiswrapper and eventually got a Linux compatible card.

About two months later I formatted the XP partition and installed Ubuntu as my main OS.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Why Linux? Windows is over-rated . But seriously, XP after a month will become slow after you install applications. You have to do so much to keep viruses and spyware out and when they do get in they wont get out! Linux is not like this, it wont slow down and it wont be affected by spyware or viruses. Linux is also open source and driven by the community.

Ubuntu? Im not really sure it needs an explanation. It's fast stable and does what you want it to do. Ubuntu has one of the best community's I've seen in a very long while. I can do what i want! No restrictions and no re-installing. Ubuntu means to me as well it's original meaning, but also as 'Something that, just works'.

Beans

New on the forum (just been lurking for a year)

Your answers are perfect!
    I am an old Hippie, to old for Linux and not a geek, not even close to geekhood.
    Linux is people driven, community centric and OPEN. Good enough for me.
    Ubuntu is everything you have said, I have Breezy on the desktop and Dapper on the L'top.
    Windows free for over a year (not bad for and 0ldg3yser, eh?)

Thanks for all the help, maybe someday I can answer a question!

Beans
    Hidden!

Why Linux? Heck, I don't know. I guess I was curious, at least that's how it started.

Why Ubuntu? Initially it was because of very favorable reviews, so I tested the waters. But I stayed because it simply worked, and the Ubuntu community is great. And, I've never looked back. It still simply works. No slow downs, no virus, I can customize till the cows come home - it's just been great. And this is coming from a non-geek who really didn't know all that much about Windows, much less Linux.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast