Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Microtek 4800 scanner

Beans

Re: Microtek 4800 scanner

Thanks grashdur.

I got it to work. The problem was that I had not used Archive Manager so I could not see the data file I needed to extract to the desktop. I also needed press ALT-F2, and type "gksu nautilus" so that I can then have root privileges so as to paste libsane-sm3840.so.1.0.15 into /usr/lib/sane. After that I just followed the rest of the directions.

Scanner Utility, XSane Image Scanner and gscan2pdf all work now.

Having the scanner work allows me to use XP even less than I was doing.

The directions for what we did should be posted as a sticky or How To somewhere as I am sure that there are a lot of other people having the same problem.

My only question now is how do I set the ScanMaker 4800 so that the bulb turns off after a certain period of time?
    Last edited by DocEsq; February 26th, 2009 at 12:29 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I have no clue on the bulb-sleep issue.

I also have no idea how to mark this thread as "solved" or to make it into a sticky thread.

But it's so great to be able to use my scanner again without having to reboot into Windows! We solved it!
    - Ubuntu 16.04 on 2016 System76 desktop + Ubuntu 18.04 on 2016 Dell Latitude laptop -

Beans

Will they ever update the libsane-extras sm3840 to correct the drivers for Microtek Scanners?

Thanks to this forum I was able to follow the instructions to replace the current 1.0.19.7 version with the old 1.0.15 version in order to make my scanner work, but it is kind of a hassle to have the update manager constantly tell me that updates are available. What would really aggravate me would be if in a less defensive state I forget to uncheck the libsane update and re-load 1.0.19 again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I have absolutely no idea how to report it, or to whom. The Help Menu in Xsane leads me only to dead links. The Xsane website is for the Xsane project, not Ubuntu, and as I recall it only shows the older, correctly-functioning driver.

This problem has already gone unfixed in several versions of Ubuntu.

Though so far, although I've been watching out for them, I have not been receiving any (unwanted) updates on XSane. I don't know why it's any different for me.
    - Ubuntu 16.04 on 2016 System76 desktop + Ubuntu 18.04 on 2016 Dell Latitude laptop -

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234