View Poll Results: Which Unix or Unix-like system do you use?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • *BSD (Free/Open/Net/DragonFly, et al.)

17 60.71%
  • Solaris/OpenSolaris (Includes derivatives such as BeleniX, MilaX, etc.)

7 25.00%
  • Commercial Unices (AIX, HP-UX, IRIX, etc.)

0 0%
  • MINIX (Any version...)

0 0%
  • Other (Please specify...)

4 14.29%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which Unix or Unix-like system do you use?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Which Unix or Unix-like system do you use?

oops! deleted
    Desktop: Quantal on Core2 Duo E8500/Asus P5Q
    Laptop: Precise on S76 Pangolin

Beans

I don't use any of them now actively but I have tried a few:

OpenBSD I find it most attractive from the lot, I liked its installation procedure and the documentation, and would definitely like to spend more time with it in the future !

FreeBSD I have tried using it for a few times, but somehow always end up removing it the next day.

NetBSD I tried it (again) after I read cardinals_fan's and others' reviews about it being fast and stable...but didn't really stick with me (and vice-versa). But I'll try it again and try configuring the kernel (the documentation says its easy !)

DesktopBSD It was my introduction to the BSD world, so its kinda special.

Minix 3 I was definitely excited to check it out, but its gonna take quite some time before its ready for some actual use (and demonstration)!

So, in the future I might revive this thread when I'll finally be using OpenBSD full time.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I use Linux.
    Do you folks like coffee?

Beans

I use OpenBSD.

I want to give Solaris and Minix a go, but I can't be bothered to download them yet.... I don't think I have ever used a OS with a proper muK, so Minix will be interesting for that.
    "The Map is Not the Territory" - Alfred Korzybski

Beans

These days I've usually got at least 4 machines in my office:

Box 1. is an iMac, dual booting OSX (hardly ever used) & Arch.

Box 2. is a free for all; it has drive drawers & is unpredictable (meaning I distro hop, occasionally a BSD gets in there too).

Box 3. is a PIII running FreeNAS which stores a backup of important stuff & movies which it streams perfectly well over the 10/100Mbit LAN.

Box 4. is another (like the FreeNAS box) headless PIII box, which runs IPCop/Copfilter, being the LAN's internet gateway & firewall, running a variety of proxies & other services.

There is another iMac on the LAN which is straight; it only runs OSX. There is also an occasional visitor to the LAN; my wife's Powerbook which also runs OSX.

I guess the OSX systems could be called more Unix-like than the Linux systems?

Though, somehow I find that there is something that I really don't like about OSX, perhaps it is just that it somehow seems superficial or something?

Beans

So does OSX get classified as a commercial Unix? ;-|

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by handy View Post
    Depends how you look at it. Technically it is, seeing as it was built off BSD. But I don't think it is, since it is so different to Unix in the way it works.

I personally think Linux is more Unix like than OSX, as it more flexible and more command line based than OSX (Even with DEs, Linux still needs the command line sometimes.). I think Macs are too locked out to be classed as a Unix OS anymore. But this is my opinion.... =)
    Last edited by SunSpyda; February 11th, 2009 at 07:40 PM.
    "The Map is Not the Territory" - Alfred Korzybski

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by handy View Post
    Yes and no...
    If you want to lump it in, it's okay, but I intentionally left OS X out in this poll, as I stated in my original post:
    It has its own sub-forum and its users are active and vocal enough on the forums to not warrant the inclusion here.
    Also:
    Quote Originally Posted by SunSpyda View Post
    I personally think Linux is more Unix like than OSX, as it more flexible and more command line based than OSX (Even with DEs, Linux still needs the command line sometimes.). I think Macs are too locked out to be classed as a Unix OS anymore. But this is my opinion.... =)
    OS X is a registered UNIX under the Single Unix Specification. However, I personally don't subscribe to the idea that the SUS is the be-all-end-all when it comes to determining Unix status. I have a few posts referencing NetBSD's webpage on the matter; look for "Call it a Duck".
    Last edited by Sorivenul; February 11th, 2009 at 07:48 PM.
    Spiralinear: Humanity & Machines
    RUNNING: Fedora | FreeBSD | Windows 7

Beans

It [OSX] has its own sub-forum and its users are active and vocal enough on the forums to not warrant the inclusion here.
    That's fine with me.

Though we have some Mac's at home, I would rather consider myself to be an OSX abuser than an OSX user.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12