Thread: Howdy from Spencer

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Howdy from Spencer

Received my Ubuntu disk in the mail three days ago and installed it with a partition to my Windows XP.Everything seemed to work great---until the next morning when I fired up the ol` computer and discovered it wouldn`t "boot" up at all for either XP or Ubuntu.I figured something drastic went wrong,probably the fault of Windows and it`s volatile registry and BIOS system,or whatever.So,I shoved my Ubuntu disk in and booted off the disk itself---and this time I chose to let Ubuntu be the ONLY server on my computer,which of course meant my Windows files,etc.,were all formatted in the process.I figured at this point it would have to be one or the other to get my computer operative again...so I chose Ubuntu,based on what I`ve been reading about it in freeware forums,etc.,the past few weeks.
    I believe I made the right choice.Although I`m a total "newbie" here with Ubuntu my years with Windows seemed to give me a headstart at finding my way around----I`ve already made all my required updates and downloads,and am finding no task whatsoever I can`t do here(in Ubuntu)that I could do in Windows.In fact,I have the suspicion that this system,overall,is infinitely more reliable and will leave Windows "in the dust".
    So here I am,possibly the only person in this part of Indiana who uses Ubuntu or has even heard of it.
    I`ll certainly be bragging about it to all the local natives.
    ----Rick James

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Howdy from Spencer

Welcome to the group. Always happy to have new converts aboard. I converted my father-in-law about 3 years ago and he has not looked back. Now to get him here and posting (not like I am here doing that much myself).
    You were chosen as an extra
    in the movie adaptation
    of the sequel to your life
    --Pavement

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

just remember this math equation

Linux > *******
    Still learning linux after using it for years

Linux Register User #481509
    Ubuntu Register User #25492

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Welcome aboard Rick

Been using Linux for 41/2 years. Been using Ubuntu 8.10 for about 3 months now.

I learn the basic in about 5 days. Unemployed, no kids, no wife or girlfriend at the time. So I squeeze a lot of Linux in that short period of time.

I'm happy with Linux, I'm doing the exact things on my Linux machine as I would be doing on a Windows machine.

So who needs Windows? My Linux machine is faster, more stable, and everything is free.

Bye Windows, there's a new kid on the block.

Peace-Out

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Hey,y`all...thanks for the welcomes and comments.Sure am glad to be here amongst real computer folks.Wish I`d have known about this Ubuntu and Linux stuff years ago.
    Today I downloaded the Opera browser and found it to be somewhat faster and better with graphics,flash videos,and so on,than Firefox.At least on my Dell computer here it seems so.Trouble is...I love Firefox and all its` "add-ons".Guess I`ll just have to give up the "glitz-and-glitter"---which is why people get hung up on Windows in the first place.Just a bunch of smoke and mirrors.Same thing with Firefox in a lot of ways...I suppose.
    Incidentally,I have a dumb question for y`all---does Ubuntu have to be defragmented and cleaned out periodically like Windows? If so...how do I go about doing it?
    And what about virus protection---is this server susceptible to viruses,which are usually written in "exe.files"that constantly plague Windows? Did some mad genius come up with a virus that can penetrate this Linux script?
    Sure would appreciate some feedback on all this...
    ----Rick James(Spencer,Indiana)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

hey,y`all...

Hey,y`all...thanks for the welcomes and comments.Sure am glad to be here amongst real computer folks.Wish I`d have known about this Ubuntu and Linux stuff years ago.
    Today I downloaded the Opera browser and found it to be somewhat faster and better with graphics,flash videos,and so on,than Firefox.At least on my Dell computer here it seems so.Trouble is...I love Firefox and all its` "add-ons".Guess I`ll just have to give up the "glitz-and-glitter"---which is why people get hung up on Windows in the first place.Just a bunch of smoke and mirrors.Same thing with Firefox in a lot of ways...I suppose.
    Incidentally,I have a dumb question for y`all---does Ubuntu have to be defragmented and cleaned out periodically like Windows? If so...how do I go about doing it?
    And what about virus protection---is this server susceptible to viruses,which are usually written in "exe.files"that constantly plague Windows? Did some mad genius come up with a virus that can penetrate this Linux script?
    Sure would appreciate some feedback on all this...
    ----Rick James(Spencer,Indiana)