Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Speech recognition and audio feedback

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Speech recognition and audio feedback

Quote Originally Posted by TheProphetJonah View Post
    I tried getting the Microsux speech API to run in Wine but I might not have the right hardware for it. Eventually I'll get to the point where I can hack software the way I hack hardware now.
    I have done a proof of concept for the MS SAPI engine in wine for integration into Linux, Mac etc. It works but was only a proff of concept.

I am busy getting the text to speech implemented first.
    Open SAPI - MS Speech in Linux: http://code.google.com/p/open-sapi/

RockboxPlayer - Open Source MP3/4 Player: http://code.google.com/p/rockboxplayer/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I've got SAPI 4 AND 5 to run in wiNe. The only part of the Virtual Hypnotist program that doesn't work was one that kicked my **** in ******* too, until I hit up the developer and he pointed me to it... it's a Macromedia set of apps that you have to have installed in Explorer before running VH.

It was suggested in the Puppy forums wherein I first snarfed the ainebot AI (and they got it from the Wayback Machine, it's really an old project, now revitalized) to plug it to Festival and actually converse with your puter. Sounds good to me. I still do have memories of the HAL2000 from "A Space Odyssy" though. And there's a commercial on TeeVee where a guy gets in his car with a purchase he made at a jewelry store and his GPS unit does a HAL on him, a feminized version... Jacks him for the necklace he bought for his wife.

There's also allegedly a virtual psychiatrist embedded in emacs.

###########BUT#########
    I still haven't tried to do the speech recognition in wiNe. That would be mostly done with the VH program first.

On the Linux side there's an app in "Sound and Video" called Transcriber. Seems like a good place to start.
    "Damn, that was the stupidest deal I ever made"
    Odin, immediately after he traded his eye for wisdom.

Beans

Speech Recognition and Audio Feedback/Output have incredible potential as Assistive Technologies far beyond simply using the computer. If a suitable Voice Recognition can be implemmented and Audio output can be provided much can be done to help those with visual and mobility impairments in their day to day tasks around the home. Several ideas come to mind that would be very simple to do yet make a big difference in the lives of a lot of people if a reliable Speech Recognition solution can be found.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Hi,
    I do pop in from time to time !! - Not sure if this is old news, but on my list of 'things' for 10.04 is something for espeak http://espeak.sourceforge.net/ Well, a (new) GUI has arrived ...

espeak-gui (0.2-0ubuntu1~ppa1+lucid) lucid; urgency=low

* Initial release.
    If anyone lets me know a bit about it, I'll gladly give it a try out on my 10.04 test system.

Don't be concerned, nor disappointed by urgency=low This is not a reflection of the package, more a reflection of it not being an urgent 'bug-fix' for 10.04, nearly all
    stuff is released as low, except when it breaks our test systems

Slowly, but surely, things from brainstorm do arrive

Regards,

Phill.
    Last edited by phillw; January 19th, 2010 at 08:54 PM.

Beans

i have no idea, but i think it would be very cool/helpful/needed if we had one.

Beans
    Distro

Hi,

I'll make some time this week to install it on my test rig & let you know how i get on.

Regards,

/edit - I am in contact with the developer - just having a few problems getting it on to my test rig, but we're making progress

Phill.
    Last edited by phillw; January 30th, 2010 at 12:51 AM. Reason: Update

Beans
    Distro

/update 29th Jan .. Last Contact with RainCT, the developer, was 24th Jan - I'm guessing he's busy with stuff - hope to get it running soon.

In the meantime, there is stuff hitting the Lynx area from the assistive developers - I look forward to them putting an update on this area & I'll go and have a 'play' with it.

Regards,

Phill.

Beans
    Distro

An update.

It seems the author missed a posting from me about a problem - quickly resolved once I 'bumped' the question.

I'm pleased to say that espeak-gui works

Does a decent job of opening up a text file & reading it to you, as to what else he has planned for it - go ask him !!

Congratulations to the Author, both for writing it and putting up with me installing it. Rather than List all the instructions here, I'll send you over to his blog, where you will be able to read the step-by-step instructions he gave me to install it. Now, if I can get it to work, anyone can !!!!

http://bloc.eurion.net/archives/2010...omment-page-1/

/edit - It's now arrived in Synaptics Package Manager - so, you've no excuse for not trying it out !!!

Regards,

Phill.
    Last edited by phillw; February 12th, 2010 at 01:25 AM. Reason: Synaptics Package Manager

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks for all the updates!
    Always make regular backups of your data (and test them).
    Visit Full Circle Magazine for beginners and seasoned Linux enthusiasts.

Beans
    Distro

Looking forward to the gui being finished!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast