Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: What's everyones problem with Vista again?

Beans

Re: What's everyones problem with Vista again?

Quote Originally Posted by yse View Post
    You didnt answer to my question exactly.
    I browse the web, do schoolwork, chat, create packages, write scripts, edit and view photos, play go and chess, read documents/books, and many other things.

I don't necessarily object to a system using a lot of memory if it offers me something in exchange. While I don't use it full-time, I respect the fact that OpenSolaris uses a huge amount of RAM because ZFS has pretty aggressive caching. I don't really need that, so I stick with a lighter system.

What are the advantages of using whatever your resource-hungry system is? What does it offer me that my SliTaz and dwm desktop doesn't?

I desire absolute control over my system. I like the fact that I can explain what every single process on my system does, something I couldn't do easily with a system such as Ubuntu or Vista.
    Because they are wrong in my opinion. Whats your problem? So, i give a contra example and i am accused of trolling.. what the hell, i am even reported for that...
    Statements can be wrong, preferences can't. If I say "I like Linux because it is totally immune to malware," I am wrong and you are right to call me on it. If, however, I say "I care about space and memory," that cannot be wrong. You can certainly debate it with me, but you have no chance of winning.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cardinals_fan View Post
    I browse the web, do schoolwork,
    Ok, you said enough. We should stop the discussions here.

Ubuntu devs/ linux dev should never take in account such an "user" like you.

I dont see any reason why peoples who real USE the OS to be forced to support all the kids like you, and accept devs to cut down the functionality because you cant do your "schoolwork" on a good implemented OS.

I remmeber such a discussion when KDE 4 was out, like "OMG KDE use so many resource"... I preffer KDE/Gnome to use as much resources as they want, but i expect functionality and good ergonomy from them.

We see totally different linux.

Beans

Ok, you said enough. We should stop the discussions here.

Ubuntu devs/ linux dev should never take in account such an "user" like you.

I dont see any reason why peoples who real USE the OS to be forced to support all the kids like you, and accept devs to cut down the functionality because you cant do your "schoolwork" on a good implemented OS.

I remmeber such a discussion when KDE 4 was out, like "OMG KDE use so many resource"... I preffer KDE/Gnome to use as much resources as they want, but i expect functionality and good ergonomy from them.

We see totally different linux.
    Let me get this straight. Because I am not an adult and I want to be productive on my computer, I don't matter? What is USING the OS? Why do you matter more than me? Then again, you don't seem to like answering questions - just asking them.

I expect functionality and ergonomics too. That's why I use what I use. My window manager, dwm, offers me total keyboard control - very ergonomic. It is also ridiculously stable and very easy to customize.

I never asked for anyone to cut down on functionality. What I'd love is for you to point out just what features your resource-hungry systems have to offer me. If you want to use them, that's your own affair. But I can be productive and get things done on what I have, without throwing a few hundred dollars in the garbage to buy a more powerful machine.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I have zero issues with Vista. I do not use it.

My stepson who works with Java just bought a new Acer laptop from Walmart for $348 with Vista Basic and loves the PC. He is a prograammer so has no isses with MS.

Rich
    Linux path. Lindows/Linspire, Freespire, Ubuntu 8.04, Mint 6/Mint 7.
    No Gates or Windows

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Microsoft is the reason you use a computer in the first place... At the time your parents bought they're first computer they thought "BUH COMPOOPER?" but found it easy because Microsoft's initiative was to allow such people to use a computer.
    You must be under 25 years old. The first computer my mother brought home for me to use was a Tandy TRS-80 Model III running CP/M. It had 16K or 32K of RAM and an internal 320K floppy disk drive and and external cassette recorder for larger data requirements. At that time Microsoft was in the business of writing BASIC, FORTRAN, COBOL programming languages and compilers. That was the last time Microsoft did anything truly original, when Gates was actually programming.

Starting with the purchase of DOS from a small Seattle company and reselling it to IBM for the original PC in 1981, Microsoft stopped innovating and became the company we know today. A company that buys, aquires, or rips off, its product ideas from other companies. If you want to thank the company that developed most of common technology computer users rely on today, that company would be Xerox.
    Last edited by ezsit; February 14th, 2009 at 10:54 PM.
    XFCE, From Now On!

Beans

On *nix, I learn the CLI of my choice (Which is Korn) and the XWM of my choice (Which is DWM 4.2.). Then you don't have to learn anything more about *nix for a long time.

On Windows you have to relearn the whole OS GUI every time MS releases a new OS. The Control Panel is reorganized, the MMC has been reshuffled and the old way of doing things has been thrown out the window. Windows 7, Vista and XP all have different ways of doing things. *nix lets you configure a identical CLI and XWM all on different distros.

Example, I have the DWM 4.2 XWM and the Korn shell running on both OpenBSD and Debian, meaning I only have to learn one GUI and CLI for two different OSs.

On Windows you have to learn a new GUI every time they release a new OS, resulting in more hassle. I like to take the hassle free route.

=)
    "The Map is Not the Territory" - Alfred Korzybski

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

The MS fanboys are out in full force. I clock more than 15+ hours a week on Vista and in comparison to Ubuntu in my eye's there is much to be desired. However, there are a few thing I would like transfered from Vista to Ubuntu. It's honestly pointless to even start making a comparison. I guess people don't like people saying bad things about the products they like since they may see it as a reflection of themselves.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789