Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 87

Thread: What's everyones problem with Vista again?

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    UK
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

    Re: What's everyones problem with Vista again?

    Probably slightly OT but I saw this the other day and it tickled me somewhat:

    http://xkcd.com/528/

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Beans
    55

    Re: What's everyones problem with Vista again?

    Quote Originally Posted by scottuss View Post
    Firstly that's a 100% stupid thing to say. An OS should be able to open a web browser quickly and be usable in a few seconds on a machine with less than 512MiB ram.

    Vista is terrible with memory end of story. I have a laptop with 512MiB RAM running Ubuntu with Compiz and loads of other eye candy and Firefox can load my homepage in about 3 seconds from clicking the icon. The same cannot be said for Vista.

    What are you doing on these forums posting stuff like that anyway?
    Return to stone age mate. Btw, try to search for a cave with view at sea also....

    oh... and whats the problem with me? You dont like other opinions or you need me to congratulate you cos you still have an ancient computer running linux?

    Geee.. peoples run around with 8GB ram today and you tell me BS about 512 Mb ram?? lol

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Beans
    2,132

    Re: What's everyones problem with Vista again?

    I haven't played around with Vista enough to form a solid opinion. However, it didn't really fix my biggest issue with Windows - NTFS.
    Quote Originally Posted by yse View Post
    Return to stone age mate. Btw, try to search for a cave with view at sea also....

    oh... and whats the problem with me? You dont like other opinions or you need me to congratulate you cos you still have an ancient computer running linux?

    Geee.. peoples run around with 8GB ram today and you tell me BS about 512 Mb ram?? lol
    You are entitled to you opinion, and I am entitled to mine. Why should I run something more if what I have works for me?

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    London, UK
    Beans
    590
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Re: What's everyones problem with Vista again?

    Quote Originally Posted by yse View Post
    Return to stone age mate. Btw, try to search for a cave with view at sea also....

    oh... and whats the problem with me? You dont like other opinions or you need me to congratulate you cos you still have an ancient computer running linux?

    Geee.. peoples run around with 8GB ram today and you tell me BS about 512 Mb ram?? lol
    OK OK calm down, I was just trying to make a point that the task in hand (web browsing) shouldn't take as long as it does on Vista.

    And for the record, I have a VERY good machine that has had Vista on it, and yes it wasn't too bad. However as you probably realise it was designed for new hardware. That isn't a problem until Microsoft say it should run on lower specced machines also, clearly that's a lie.

    At least with Linux in general, it will run on whatever the "minimum spec" is touted as.

    P.S I like your comment about 8GB of ram, I doubt most users actually have that much, aside from the fact that the most common versions of Windows are only 32bit and thus do not support 8GB of RAM, it's hard to find consumer machines for sale with that amount of memory.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Beans
    55

    Re: What's everyones problem with Vista again?

    Quote Originally Posted by scottuss View Post
    OK OK calm down, I was just trying to make a point that the task in hand (web browsing) shouldn't take as long as it does on Vista.

    And for the record, I have a VERY good machine that has had Vista on it, and yes it wasn't too bad. However as you probably realise it was designed for new hardware. That isn't a problem until Microsoft say it should run on lower specced machines also, clearly that's a lie.

    At least with Linux in general, it will run on whatever the "minimum spec" is touted as.

    P.S I like your comment about 8GB of ram, I doubt most users actually have that much, aside from the fact that the most common versions of Windows are only 32bit and thus do not support 8GB of RAM, it's hard to find consumer machines for sale with that amount of memory.
    Mate, what you expect from a OS runing on 512 RAM?

    About RAM, you are wrong. Dont underestimate the peoples who are hungry for multimedia experience and games.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    uk
    Beans
    367
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

    Re: What's everyones problem with Vista again?

    Quote Originally Posted by yse View Post
    Mate, what you expect from a OS runing on 512 RAM?

    About RAM, you are wrong. Dont underestimate the peoples who are hungry for multimedia experience and games.
    yeh i'm sure theres lots of dumb users out there that bought 8gigs but have a 32-bit o/s so they can't use it all.

    seriously, i doubt it will take long for you to get kicked the way you type your posts.

    trying to keep up with latest hardware is such a windows-frame of mind. that's why lots of people run linux because they don't need to buy latest hardware, they can keep running functional machines that do their jobs well on hardware that's practically given away by many people.

    p.s - having an ancient computer running linux and able to do 90% of what i can do on my relatively new machine is definitely worth congratulating.
    ****
    Quote Originally Posted by The Symmetry
    In this space which our eyes grace
    A simple way to make alliances between disparate peoples in the human race

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Seattle, Washington
    Beans
    53
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

    Re: What's everyones problem with Vista again?

    The only reason (My main reason[s]) for using Linux (specifically, Ubunut)
    is:
    Price
    It runs on my crappy lappy!
    Vista's great if you've got screaming fast comp, but for my old Dell, (which I just UPGRADED to 512 Mb RAM!) vista ain't gonna work lol!
    What you have to realize is that Linux is made for worldwide compatibility, so its most likely gonna be compatible with older machines.
    Microsoft assumes anyone who can pay for Vista has a nicer comp, so they don't waste too much time on compatibilty with older comps.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Liverpool, NY USA
    Beans
    3
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

    Re: What's everyones problem with Vista again?

    I've personally had no problems with Vista nor Windows 7. I never had any problems with XP either. I had problems with 98 and some with 95. None with 3.1, I guess I'm showing my age again.

    I guess my only problems are price vs what you get and security security security.


  9. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Seattle, Washington
    Beans
    53
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

    Re: What's everyones problem with Vista again?

    simtaalo, thats exactly the point!
    My friends wanna run Crysis on full graphics, and I'm pretty sure thats not possible on a 512 Mb comp running Linux!
    I, on the other hand, wanna do my work.
    Play a little music.
    Some Solitaire, maybe.
    My crappy lappy works just fine for me, but not even close to fine for others!

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Beans
    55

    Re: What's everyones problem with Vista again?

    Quote Originally Posted by simtaalo View Post
    yeh i'm sure theres lots of dumb users out there that bought 8gigs but have a 32-bit o/s so they can't use it all.

    seriously, i doubt it will take long for you to get kicked the way you type your posts.

    trying to keep up with latest hardware is such a windows-frame of mind. that's why lots of people run linux because they don't need to buy latest hardware, they can keep running functional machines that do their jobs well on hardware that's practically given away by many people.

    p.s - having an ancient computer running linux and able to do 90% of what i can do on my relatively new machine is definitely worth congratulating.
    No mate, you are wrong. I have nothing with you or with Linux. I just cant stand when i see peoples who say stupid things.

    Everybody have an ancient computer in house, but not everybody want to live in the past. Peoples want HDTV on insane resolutions, play games with latest video cards and so on... you chose your side.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •