Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Attempting to install latest v9.1 ATI drivers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Attempting to install latest v9.1 ATI drivers

I just upgraded manually from 8.10 to 9.1.

The default installer failed. Some uber script from the Phoronix forums also failed. I'm not 100% sure why. I don't have the will to debug another guys monolithic bash script.

Doing it manually as in the http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Main_Page guides always works. Making sure you remember to follow all the steps and checking for places where drivers may have been blacklisted. It's also important to install these drivers as root and without booting into X. Performing rmmod fglrx before starting also helps.

There are many guides out there already. Some are very in depth, some less so. I'd recommend following the one I linked for the Hardy build.

For anyone considering upgrading there seems to have been alot of work done to minimize vsync issues. Sadly Totem is unusable due to videos being scaled incorrectly and corrupted windows. 8.10 was fine in Totem.
    XBMC and other ffmpeg based players are slightly better. You shouldn't need to force vsync, in fact if you do you will half your performance.
    Games don't seem any different but I only ran a few tests with old stuff like Q3 and Doom.
    Desktop performance under Compiz is faster and tearing is reduced.
    Last edited by Yashiro; February 10th, 2009 at 08:13 AM.

Beans

Hi, I am also trying to install that in Intrepid as well. But the following keeps on showing

sudo dkms install -m fglrx

Error! Could not locate fglrx.ko for module fglrx in the DKMS tree.
    You must run a dkms build for kernel 2.6.27-11-generic (i686) first.

I googled a bit and only know it has something to do with the header files. I have the headers installed as default without any changes.(with all updates from default sources) How can I fix this?(or at least return to normal)

The best I can do is to return to 8.543 and at least it does not require me to use low-resolution login on startup. Yet the same problem still persists when I try to install in dkms.

If that matters, I can use the 8.543 without problem before.

Any help is appreciated.Thanks...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Beans

There is no luck

1. there is no package "ia32libs"

2. I don't have /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-local, so don't worry about it.

3. I added DISABLED_MODULES="fglrx" to /etc/default/linux-restricted-modules-common

4. I booted into recovery mode (of 2.6.27.11) and did the dpkg thing

The same thing happens.

more information:
    if I type

$fglrxinfo

X Error of failed request: BadRequest (invalid request code or no such operation)
    Major opcode of failed request: 143 (GLX)
    Minor opcode of failed request: 19 (X_GLXQueryServerString)
    Serial number of failed request: 12
    Current serial number in output s

$ sudo dkms install -m fglrx -v 8.573

Error! Could not locate fglrx.ko for module fglrx in the DKMS tree.
    You must run a dkms build for kernel 2.6.27-11-generic (i686) first.tream: 12

What else can I check?

more:
    I tried to purge dkms in the recovery mode and install it again but it is the same. It does fine with the latest virtualbox-ose-source but not fglrx. It seems like fglrx is misleading dkms somehow...

I am using 32-bit lenovo T60 with ati X1300
    Last edited by RicRic; February 15th, 2009 at 11:30 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Exclamation Re: Attempting to install latest v9.1 ATI drivers

I don't know if it's helpful to use the following command
    Code:
    sudo aticonfig --initial -f
    I also have some problems with ati drivers. When I use the following command
    Code:
    sudo atiode -P 10 -H localhost:0; echo$?
    which is a test for ati drivers it return 2, which means that I have a problem with rendering. This is sth that I realised when trying to view videos using vlc or mplayer. I believe that there sth to do with the ati configuration... Does anyone know sth better? Using the following commands I messed up my desktop effects but I fixed video
    Code:
    sudo aticonfig --sync-vsync=on
    sudo aticonfig --xinerama=on
    Is there sth to do to fix both my problems?

Beans

To install the new drivers all i did was download the file from the ati website to my home directory. Then type alt-F2 gksu nautilus navigate my way to the home directory right-click on the .run file go to properties then click the permissions tab and check the box that says allow executing file as program. then double clicked the file and it installed.

However, I should say that i had added some lines to my xorg.conf for the previous driver so when i rebooted the xserver wouldn't start but all i had to do was delete those lines i had added in my xorg.conf and then run aticonfig --initial -f and everything has been good from there.

Also just in case here is my xorg.conf and my gpu is a ati mobility x300
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

Hey guys, I've given up the Linux-way, i.e. solved the problem by re-installing Ubuntu from scratch like a stupid Win user. Yet that doesn't mean I succeeded immediately. I screwed other things up like skype(cannot install) after every time I updated the headers. I encounter no problem(or at least fewer) without updating at all(that is, keeping everything as old as it was released) My understanding is those things that screw up are looking for the old header files that are removed by the update. I am quite a newbie so don't know much about the updating of header files, kernels and all that. Is there any way I can update the headers safely(or can keep the installations of old softwares work)?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

RicRic which ATI graphic card do you have? d-mart and RicRic can you run the following command
    Code:
    sudo atiode -P 10 -H localhost:0; echo$?
    and post in this thread the result returned?Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Hi!. I've tried to do that in terminal and the result is the following:

Code:
    atiode -P60 -H localhost:0; echo $?
    I've been searching in google, and everyone has the same result.
    I do not know why the result is 2. I'm supposed to have direct rendering. According to glxinfo I have.

Good Luck!.
    Last edited by Ansraliant; May 15th, 2009 at 03:48 PM. Reason: type error

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12