Thread: networking only with 10mbit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

networking only with 10mbit

hi all,
    I have an geforce 8300 mcp78 board and I can currently only network via a 10mbit old switch.
    with the switch the networking negotiates 10mbit half duplex but no more can be achieved, any switches, routers that can do more don't work even if I try forcing the speed with ethtool.
    Any hints on that?

i think my mobo (asus m3n78em) is broken, could it be the eeprom? any ideas how to fix this?

fyi stuffed windows on the box to test and get a whooping 10mbit full duplex there but can force it to work with higher speed routers.

anything I need to look at before I go through the pain of RMA?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: networking only with 10mbit

Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa-Chino View Post
    hi all,
    I have an geforce 8300 mcp78 board and I can currently only network via a 10mbit old switch.
    with the switch the networking negotiates 10mbit half duplex but no more can be achieved, any switches, routers that can do more don't work even if I try forcing the speed with ethtool.
    Any hints on that?

i think my mobo (asus m3n78em) is broken, could it be the eeprom? any ideas how to fix this?

fyi stuffed windows on the box to test and get a whooping 10mbit full duplex there but can force it to work with higher speed routers.

anything I need to look at before I go through the pain of RMA?
    I stopped 10 MB/s networking 15 years ago (it was old then). I suggest a network upgrade, to be honest. At least 100 MB/s.
    MCP, A+/Linux+ Certified IT Technician
    System Specs | Dress up your "Super Button" FREE
    "If sometimes you can't be good, then be VERY good at being naughty!"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: networking only with 10mbit

Quote Originally Posted by theozzlives View Post
    I stopped 10 MB/s networking 15 years ago (it was old then). I suggest a network upgrade, to be honest. At least 100 MB/s.
    I have 100Mbit router, it works with all other boards etc, all I want to know if there is anything I am missing or if my mobo (which should have gigabit ethernet) is faulty, rma is a pain, taking the computer apart is a pain.