Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: VDPAU- Should I try it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: VDPAU- Should I try it?

My thanks for the ease of the setup and changeover. I have a C2Q 9300 and 1 of the cpus was at 100% and now is at the 5% range. I have one piece of information. It seems that you would need to stop mythtvbackend before the change. I got a message that it couldn't install mythbackend but things seems to work anyway.
    Thanks

VDPAU is simply amazing. HD playback of h264 and mpeg2 files with 5% CPU usage! I recently built a small form factor frontend based on a Zotac Ionix AU motherboard and have been very happy with it using VDPAU. I was so happy I unloaded my Popcorn Hour box since the Zotac box replaced it.
    http://tllts.org - The Linux Link Tech Show
    http://mythtvcast.com - The MythTVCast

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

VDPAU has been working great for me as well. Yesterday I set up a Frontend using the ECS GF8200A motherboard and Phenom X4 9150e processor. I am getting 5% to 7% CPU usage using Temporal 2X or Bob 2X.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mathog View Post
    Same config and graphics card (256MB model for me) and same good result. Excellent work. Much praise to jyavenard.

With vdpau enabled the pauses I used to see when using the program guide while TV was running went away. On the other hand, so did the live TV that used to be visible at the same time the guide was up.

The only glitch I have seen so far concerns PIP, where sometimes it comes up with H = 2W (stretched vertically), instead of H = W. Oddly the stretched one uses much less CPU time than the rectangular one, which tends to push to 50-60% CPU, where regular TV (one stream) is <=10%. Also the front end hung up for a longish time once when trying to switch PIP streams.

VDPAU + mythtv is definitely a big win.

THANKS!
    PIP does not really work for me with VDPAU. It technically does show the other tuner in a window, but the window is almost in the middle of the screen and is no larger than a dime. I run at 1920x1080 res. When I change my profile to Slim instead, PIP works great. The window is just under 1/4 the size of the screen and is in the bottom left position where I have it setup to be.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bcg30506 View Post
    PIP does not really work for me with VDPAU. It technically does show the other tuner in a window, but the window is almost in the middle of the screen and is no larger than a dime. I run at 1920x1080 res. When I change my profile to Slim instead, PIP works great. The window is just under 1/4 the size of the screen and is in the bottom left position where I have it setup to be.
    My understanding is that vdpau can only open one video 'surface' at a time, so PIP is not going to work as expected.
    Last edited by nickrout; September 7th, 2009 at 03:18 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nickrout View Post
    My understanding is that cdpau can only open one video 'surface' at a time, so PIP is not going to work as expected.
    Okay. Thanks for the explanation. I'll just keep using the Slim profile for TV and switch it back to VDPAU for watching my HD videos. Any chance there is a one key shortcut for getting to the setup screen?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bcg30506 View Post
    Okay. Thanks for the explanation. I'll just keep using the Slim profile for TV and switch it back to VDPAU for watching my HD videos. Any chance there is a one key shortcut for getting to the setup screen?
    you could set up a button on your main menu like:

<button>
    <type>TV_SETTINGS_PLAYBACK</type>
    <text>Playback</text>
    <action>SETTINGS PLAYBACK</action>
    </button>

Which would take you straight to the Playback settings menu.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nickrout View Post
    you could set up a button on your main menu like:

<button>
    <type>TV_SETTINGS_PLAYBACK</type>
    <text>Playback</text>
    <action>SETTINGS PLAYBACK</action>
    </button>

Which would take you straight to the Playback settings menu.
    Awesome. You rock. Thanks!
    (Wouldn't be possible to map this to a remote key to jump from anywhere would it? Just checking.)

Beans

I want to try VDPAU as HD playback isn't working too well on my new Zotac ION based frontend. the first and hopefully only issue I need to solve is how to enable the Nvidia 185.18.31 driver that I have installed, it does not show up in System > Hardware Drivers, but it is listed in Settings > Nvidia X Server Settings.

Can someone please show me the way.
    Thanks,
    Trev

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by trevs.bronco View Post
    I want to try VDPAU as HD playback isn't working too well on my new Zotac ION based frontend. the first and hopefully only issue I need to solve is how to enable the Nvidia 185.18.31 driver that I have installed, it does not show up in System > Hardware Drivers, but it is listed in Settings > Nvidia X Server Settings.

Can someone please show me the way.
    Thanks,
    Trev
    download nvidia modaliases through synaptic. How did you install? sounds like the drivers are in use.

Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast