Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: VDPAU- Should I try it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: VDPAU- Should I try it?

What decoder where you using ? Standard (ffmpeg) ? libmpeg2 ?
    Lucid Lynx 10.04 on a Lenovo Thinkpad R61i
    Arch frontend/backend
    Arch frontend
    Yay North Adelaide Ultimate !!!

Beans

ffmpeg

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by jyavenard View Post
    If you use my repository, it includes extra playback option using OpenGL hardware-accelerated deinterlacer.

With a 9400GT, I had excellent result (2nd best after VDPAU) using the following profile:

W <= 1920 ; H < 720: OpenGL / Kernel (2X, HW) or OpenGL / Greedy Highmotion (2x)

W > 0 ; H >= 720 : OpenGL / Kernel (2X, HW)

Greedy HighMotion 2X requires quite a fair bit a processor, if you have less than a C2D @ 2.66GHz, better of using Kernel 2X,HW
    Wow, that isn't working with my machine at all.
    Greedy Highmotion produces choppy picture fullstop.

Kernel 2x,Hw works, but the CPU (AMD AM2X2 5000+) is sitting around 150% (doesn't really make sense but I guess top is looking at both cores).
    Shouldn't opengl transfer some of the load to the graphics card ? Is there a way to check if opengl is working ? Anything I need to change anywhere else ? xorg.conf ?
    Arch frontend/backend
    Arch frontend

Beans

What is taking 150% of the CPU ?

X or mythtv?

kernel 2X takes about 65% of the CPU when watching mpeg2 1080i on my box ; it's a E8200 Intel 2.66GHz dual core.

Here is the post I made with my review of all the various deinterlacers available (that was before VDPAU time)

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...11#post1814111

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Slight aside, how are you guys measuring cpu loading with the front end up and running?
    Im still kind of new here, only 8 years into ubuntu and still finding my way around!
    There are no such things as dumb questions, just dumb people! (And yes, i consider myself to be dumb!)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by jyavenard View Post
    What is taking 150% of the CPU ?

X or mythtv?
    mythfrontend sits around 150% when watching TV with your settings. Opengl seems to be the issue. Any deinterlacer combined with opengl is producing this kind of CPU load on my machine.

I've also tried the vdpau renderers (combined with ffmpeg decoding), but didn't have much luck there either.

I'm pretty much back to ffmpeg&xv-blit, which brings my CPU to 80-90%. Not ideal and I guess it doesn't really use my graphics card very well. Almost at the point of taking the card out and going back to the onboard gforce7 and xvmc.
    But I'm willing to try other options if there are any.
    Arch frontend/backend
    Arch frontend

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by geekyhawkes View Post
    Slight aside, how are you guys measuring cpu loading with the front end up and running?
    I just have a terminal window open in the background and run "top" in it. Then switch to the terminal window with ALT+tab while watching TV to see the loads.
    Arch frontend/backend
    Arch frontend

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Firstly - jyavenard, Thank you so much for the time you have put into this.

I installed a HVR-2250 using Steven Toth's drivers with no problems. Then I installed VDPAU support. I'm appreciative of how easy it was for a relative newb to get this all running.

One question, I have had the 185.18.29 NVIDIA drivers since they came out (EV3A GeForce 8600GT). I skipped the steps to install video drivers since I currently meet the requirement on the Add VDPAU support to MythTV 0.21 page. I've read through this thread carefully though, and it appears that these may not be the best option? I've not yet experienced and problems and under the theory of don't fix what ain't broke, I was planning to leave things be. Any reason that I should reconsider this approach?
    Out of the ashes of disaster grow the roses of success

Are you for Linux? Is Linux for you?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ktmom View Post
    One question, I have had the 185.18.29 NVIDIA drivers since they came out (EV3A GeForce 8600GT). I skipped the steps to install video drivers since I currently meet the requirement on the Add VDPAU support to MythTV 0.21 page. I've read through this thread carefully though, and it appears that these may not be the best option? I've not yet experienced and problems and under the theory of don't fix what ain't broke, I was planning to leave things be. Any reason that I should reconsider this approach?
    If you are using my repository, you will have to use either 180.60 (release repo, recommended) or 190.25 (testing repo, unstable with vdpau).
    I've only had problems with 185.18.29. They work fine as video drivers, but start using vdpau and you will get your computer crashing.

Mind you, there are issues in all those drivers.
    In 180.60, the OpenGL library sometimes segfault (especially noticeable in mythmusic with the fancy libvisual based animated screen) ; but on the vdpau side of things it's very stable.

190.25 still has some known issue:
    First, you must disable UseEvents : this is a problem on non-vdpau playback like Xv, without UseEvents X will take 100% of the CPU time.
    You also need to disable opengl v-sync, otherwise libGL segfault
    The other libGL segfault with 180.60 are gone ; but every once in a while , about once a day, two of my computers running 190.25 hang and require a power cycle.

So I still recommend you stay with 180.60, for a 8600GT card , it would make very little difference, if any

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by laffinet View Post
    Note: mplayer also doesn't seem to keep the volume setting, ie everytime I start to watch a video it starts at full volume.
    Just in case somebody is experiencing similar problems, I managed to overcome this issue (mplayer starting at a ridiculously high volume) by adding
    Code:
    -ao alsa
    to the video player line in mythfrontend setup.
    Arch frontend/backend
    Arch frontend

Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast