Thread: The Slow and the Sedated

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

The Slow and the Sedated

Okay. I like Ubuntu. A lot. And I'm trying to stop using Vista. But it's very difficult when Ubuntu lags SO much in certain things.

Upon booting, Ubuntu takes 1.5-2 minutes to boot. It used to take 10 seconds.

Also, scrolling up and down a page on firefox lags, and clicking to change tabs or create a new tab has a response time of about 3 seconds.

Also, all my high-definition videos have both an audio and video lag.

What is the problem? Gut feeling: Graphics Drivers? I have 180, and was advised to downgrade to a 177, but I can only find a 173 on the nVidia site...

Dell XPS M1530 T9300 8600GT

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: The Slow and the Sedated

Unfortunately, the default requirements for each Ubuntu release require more horsepower. Given your current hardware, maxing your memory, if not already done, helps, especially on boot. It might even help with Firefox and other applications.

I have a new laptop, with a decent dual-core chip -- not the fastest -- Intel graphics, and a 7200 RPM hard drive. The RAM is maxed at 4GB. If I can get six years out of the laptop across two or more Ubuntu releases, I will be very happy. Unfortunately, some of our day-to-day uses/needs do not increase as quickly as each release demands from its hardware.
    Last edited by cmnorton; February 7th, 2009 at 09:26 PM. Reason: punctuation
    cmn

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: The Slow and the Sedated

I've already maxed out the Memory as far as possible... But my point is, VISTA RUNS QUICKER!!!

Would 64-bit Ubuntu help?