Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ebook Reader for linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Ebook Reader for linux.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevon View Post
    I very rarely pay for software too. But I would buy this just to support what he's trying to do - bringing commercial software to Linux.
    I think than bringing free software to Linux (free in sense of freedom first and price too) is better.

I don't like using the term "commercial software", proprietary is often more appropriate.

For people who want to spend money to help the development of software, it should be noted that a lot of free software projects or authors do accept donations.
    Last edited by ddmdllt; February 13th, 2009 at 12:34 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by ddmdllt View Post
    I think than bringing free software to Linux (free in sense of freedom first and price too) is better.

I don't like using the term "commercial software", proprietary is often more appropriate.

For people who want to spend money to help the development of software, it should be noted that a lot of free software projects or authors do accept donations.
    I too prefer to use free as in freedom software, generally, I make an exception whenever the propietary version is massively superior such as with Alias Sketchbook.
    While I have no problem using proprietary software when there is a clear advantage, so far calibre is superior to Radical Codex simply because of the number of formats it can read view and convert, and the number of features it offers.

I will definitely keep an eye on this to see where Radical Breeze goes.

Any other budding projects out there?
    Last edited by Islington; February 13th, 2009 at 01:05 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by ddmdllt View Post
    Yes yes, we've all heard this discussion a gazillion times before. I too am a supporter of open source, and I think it would be great if all software could be open. But right now it isn't, and not allowing commercial/proprietary software on Linux certainly isn't helping major software companies bring their software over to Linux - and possibly, eventually, opening up their software. My opinion is that if we ever want to see big players like Adobe and whatnot develop applications for Linux, we first have to show them that they don't have to change their entire business philosophy, and that it is possible to make a profit by developing applications for Linux. They've started to dip their toes into the Linux waters, now we have to show them that the water is warm and that there are no little kids ******* in the pool.

With that said, of course it's great to donate to open source projects! I'm all for choice. If someone wants to use an open source application, they should be able to. And the same goes for commercial applications.

The developer of RadicalCodex has written a blog post on the subject, as a lot of people have had negative reactions to a Linux podcast host writing and selling closed source application.
    http://lunduke.com/?p=155

Quote Originally Posted by Islington View Post
    Radical breeze
    It's actually been renamed RadicalCodex. From the start he was going to develop two different applications. One ebook reader and one comic book reader, called RadicalComics. But since he merged the two applications into one, he decided to rename it RadicalCodex.
    Last edited by Nevon; February 13th, 2009 at 12:54 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Sorry, double post.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Nevon View Post
    Sorry, double post.
    no worries. I actually meant keeping an eye on his whole company which seems to call itself radical breeze. I suspect that we may see other pieces of software from him. Actually as far as comic book readers go: I tend to use Comix.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I have two ebook devices, neither of which work with Linux. I still have an old Rocket eBook, and I recently bought an eBookwise. I am longing for the day when someone makes an open ebook device which will work with any OS, and download any format. I tried a Sony, but it was too locked in, and didn't have a backlight.

I use mostly Project Gutenberg for books, but I like to read web pages offline, too.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by sanderella View Post
    I am longing for the day when someone makes an open ebook device which will work with any OS, and download any format. I tried a Sony, but it was too locked in, and didn't have a backlight.

I use mostly Project Gutenberg for books, but I like to read web pages offline, too.
    Isn't the Kindle open source? I'm not sure, but I think so.

http://www.jupiterbroadcasting.com/?tag=kindle

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by Islington View Post
    not offtopic at all! how do you put stuff on your phone?
    if you go to wattpad.com with your phone, you can download the client. then u use the client to add books
    Ubuntu user # 16518 Registered Linux user # 458844
    Don't run any command with rm unless you know what you're doing. Read this for more information.
    Dialup or no internet on your Ubuntu box? Have no fear, Keryx is here! Keryx Project

Beans
    Distro

Online platform to read ebooks in the epub format:

http://bookworm.oreilly.com/

Beans

Have you installed calibre? I see from their dl page that it is in the jaunty repos but there are no packages for intrepid. They do have some sript to dl and install but I haven't seen anything like it before so I am a bit cautious tbh. Also I was a bit wary that it seems to convert everything into a Sony format. I don't know much about ebooks and formats but Haven't heard of Sony ever being supportive of open formats so is the Sony format used another closed one?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast