Thread: graphics problems

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

graphics problems

all,

after the latest kernel upgrade (23) my graphics drivers have stopped working. Now ive tried to reinstall the correct drivers from the nvidia website, those being 64bit 8600GTS with no success. The only way i can get a decent resolution is to boot into safe mode then init 3. The exact point of failure at bootup is at rc.local but im sure this will come as now surprise.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: graphics problems

How did you try to install the driver from Nvidia? There are specific steps you have to take to nstall the driver. First remove any Nvidia drivers you find listd in Synaptic. Make sure you have build-essential installed. Then press Ctrl-Alt-F1 to change to a console. Next at the prompt type:

Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop
    This will stop the X server. Now cd into the directory where the Nvidia binary is located then at the prompt type:

Code:
    sudo chmod +x *run
    The above command will make the binary file executeable. Now you can run the file, this assumes you only have one .run file in the directory:

Code:
    sudo ./*run
    answer yes to all the questions. When the driver has finished compiling at the prompt type:

Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start
    this command will restart X and bring you back to your desktop with the new driver installed.

Jim

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: graphics problems

Thanks for your input. Eventually i got it working via this method. Seems like i had a mix and match of nvidia drivers which the update obviously didnt like

All good now thanks.