Thread: New server is up...now taking ideas

Beans

Thumbs down New server is up...now taking ideas

The new server is up and running. So what do you think we should do with it? The current plan is to use the new server for stable operations and add a second server for unstable experimental operations.

The stable server will host our team web site and Arizona statewide LUGs that would like to be hosted. The LUGs will have full access to their own web directory.

We will also offer accounts for team members that have been approved by the group after some IRC participation. We don't want people with accounts we don't trust. Server accounts will also have some personal web space they can use as a blog, self promotion or personal experimentation. People can request an account via our IRC channel (irc.freenode.net ; #ubuntu-us-az) with slofgren or johnc4510

We would also like to implement a team calendar and ideally a calendar for each LUG. I also envision a calendar that provides an overview of all calendars for a one stop place to see what is going on across AZ.

Does anyone have other suggestions or disagreements to what has been listed?
    Last edited by slofgren; February 6th, 2009 at 09:02 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: New server is up...now taking ideas

It sounds great so far. Would like to see more content added to the team website, but from what I've heard from john there is a new site that is just about ready to be implemented. Great job on getting everything on the server that is up already.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

w00t!! And a big thanks to Shane for taking care of this. I believe Kenny also helped this to come about, thx!!

1. Web Hosting: Since we are going to be offering other groups hosting on our server, I want a standardized host system. I think Drupal is the best way to go. By having all the groups use one program for their hosting, we can keep our server neat, tidy and uniform. html hosting would be acceptable since it doesn't require an additional app.

2. Drupal Administration: We need a couple of people to admin. the web pages. Shane and I will take care of the initial install of Drupal including a theme and some of the plugins. We will need a person or two to admin. the site and implement any team ideas.

3. Calendar: We need a group calendar. This would be for all the state LUGs and open source groups to use. By having this anyone could go to one place to see what's going on in the Arizona open source community.

4. Mail server: At some point we may have to install a mail server service, but I think this can wait until it's needed.

5. Blogging: I would like to have a team blog plugin. Drupal offers one and it would be a good way for new team members to introduce themselves and existing team members to use for tutorials, new apps. they like or don't like, etc.

These are just a few ideas I have to get us started. Any team member with other ideas should express them. We want this to be a team effort and a real asset to not only our team, but the user groups in Arizona.
    Last edited by johnc4510; February 7th, 2009 at 07:35 PM.
    Ubuntu Arizona LoCo Team - The Hottest LoCo on Earth!
    ArizonaTeam Wiki | Arizona Launchpad | Membership
    |
    IRC Channel: #ubuntu-us-az
    Server: irc.freenode.net

Beans

The second test server is installed now as well. We are now ready to move forward with our plans.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I might have some free time here soon, especially starting next month. It's been a while since I have done anything, so I am throwing my hat in for whatever needs to be done.
    Live in Arizona? Join the Ubuntu Arizona LoCo Team - The Hottest LoCo on Earth!
    ArizonaTeam Wiki | Arizona Launchpad | irc.freenode.net #ubuntu-us-az

Beans

bribri124,
    Lets get you an account setup. Contact me in IRC.