Thread: 8.10 CD Install hang on Dell Laptop (Centrino Duo)

Beans

Cool 8.10 CD Install hang on Dell Laptop (Centrino Duo)

I downloaded the (8.10 i386.iso) and burned it to CD. I tried a fresh install by booting from the CD. Basically, I get past the language menu and the install seems to proceed but hangs some where in the boot process.

So, I did a Wabi install next and Ubuntu 8.10 completed successfully. I have a dual boot between XP pro and Ubuntu.

So, I tried installing on my old Dell Latitude Cpi/a 128mb ram, 6GB hard drive. It did the same thing from a CD boot. It hangs during hardware and driver loading process. I'm going to try a Wabi install but I don't have a Windows OS installed on it now.

I successfully installed Dabian 4.10 on the CPi/a and that is what it is partitioned for now.

Anyway, maybe Ubuntu is not the right variant for this Dell CPi/a Laptop. What would someone suggest I do now.

1. A different Ubuntu kernel version, or maybe a kubuntu variant?

Beans

Re: 8.10 CD Install hang on Dell Laptop (Centrino Duo)

1. Run the checksum to check the integrity of the ISO image before you burn it.

2. Burn it at a slow speed like 4x.

3. At the initial screen, run the check cd for defects to make sure everything is okay.

3.a. And try not to run the LiveCD (desktop CD) on a machine with less than 386MB of RAM.
    In the world of Linux, who needs Windows and Gates...

Got most of my golden beans at an auction on eBay (with a couple of free drinks).