Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Scientists clone an ibex! (ibex species is extint, they made one!)

Beans

Re: Scientists clone an ibex! (ibex species is extint, they made one!)

You guys do know that dinosaurs wouldn't be able to survive in our current climate, don't you? You would have to keep them in a room with more oxygen than normal, since oxygen levels in the Jurrasic was much higher than today, and thus animals were able to get bigger then.
    See my themes here! | Dont preach Linux, mention it | Make GNOME Themes
    I'm no longer on here. If you want to talk to me, go to noost.org.
    My DeviantArt | Linux user #461096 | Ubuntu user #15753

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by smartboyathome View Post
    You guys do know that dinosaurs wouldn't be able to survive in our current climate, don't you? You would have to keep them in a room with more oxygen than normal, since oxygen levels in the Jurrasic was much higher than today, and thus animals were able to get bigger then.
    Climate controlled cages? They wouldn't be left to roam free (hopefully.

Beans
    Hidden!

How is it that the Jurrasic period would have more oxygen than today? It seems that the longer the planet has had plants performing photosynthesis, the more oxygen you'd get. All the scientists I've ever heard of (and those few I've spoken to) have all agreed that Earth did not initially have an oxygenated atmosphere. In fact, it's generally agreed upon (from what I understand) that life had to adapt to having oxygen in the atmosphere.

If anything, I would expect dinosaurs to have problems dealing with the increase, not decrease, in oxygen levels.
    Have you ever found something in the second-to-last place you looked?
    If it seems like I am ignoring you, perhaps I am.
    world:~ mike$ rm -f /earth/united_states/washington/redmond/M$ █

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTheC View Post
    How is it that the Jurrasic period would have more oxygen than today? It seems that the longer the planet has had plants performing photosynthesis, the more oxygen you'd get. All the scientists I've ever heard of (and those few I've spoken to) have all agreed that Earth did not initially have an oxygenated atmosphere. In fact, it's generally agreed upon (from what I understand) that life had to adapt to having oxygen in the atmosphere.

If anything, I would expect dinosaurs to have problems dealing with the increase, not decrease, in oxygen levels.
    It seems millions of years ago there was more oxygen then there was now (more plant life?). Apparently huge bugs could exist.
    Proud GNU/Linux zealot and lover of penguins
    "Value your freedom or you will lose it, teaches history." --Richard Stallman

Beans

I would rather bet on high amount of CO2 in atmosphere. It would support plants' photosynthesis process and make them grow bigger and spread more. And I think that huge bugs could exist because there was much more food back then (lots of plants).
    http://bash.org.pl/615560/ (translated from Polish)
    <samael>I want to steal windows source code
    <kses>that's like breaking into headquarters of a secret organization to steal a floor mop

Beans
    Distro
    Edubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I cannot see this saving anything, sorry to say. Cloning extinct and endangered animals is just plain stupid, sure you can increase the numbers but can you increase the genetic diversity? No (at least not with cloning as we know it) So what you end up with is a slightly larger population that is VERY inbred.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by chris200x9 View Post
    I cannot see this saving anything, sorry to say. Cloning extinct and endangered animals is just plain stupid, sure you can increase the numbers but can you increase the genetic diversity? No (at least not with cloning as we know it) So what you end up with is a slightly larger population that is VERY inbred.
    Couldn't you first clone the animals, and then apply genetic mutation to them to get them to be genetically diverse?

Beans
    Distro
    Edubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by eragon100 View Post
    Couldn't you first clone the animals, and then apply genetic mutation to them to get them to be genetically diverse?
    I honestly don't know, if you could it would be neat idea.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by chris200x9 View Post
    I honestly don't know, if you could it would be neat idea.
    And another, simpler one: if you can take the DNA of a single individual before the species go extinct,
    you can also take the DNA of, say, 250 of them and create 250 different clones with this material, right? Problem solved.

With (a lot) more research, I truly hope we can use this technologically to design/create
    fully artificial life forms one day

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234