Ubuntu 8.10 - LE1600 (Motion Computing Tablet PC)
1. [working*] PEN/STYLUS
2. [working] ROTATION- other posts address the XORG configuration and wacom drivers
- Pressure/Sensitivity is working well and no need to calibrate.
NOTE HAL not XORG controls this in Jaunty 9.04 SEE BELOW (work in progess)- other posts address the randr and scripts for rotating orientation of the screen, stylus and eraser
3. [working] HANDWRITING RECOGNITION
4. [UNRESOLVED] LOGIN/PASSWORD KEYBOARD- I recommend CELLWRITER (onscreen keyboard and cell-based character recognition)
- I recommend EASYSTROKE gesture recognition (can customize any gesture and link to command, button, etc)
- I haven't customized this fully yet
- Seen suggestions to do "automatic login"
-- this is unacceptable and NOT a solution
5. [UNRESOLVED] HARDWARE BUTTONS- I did see something about enabling GROK? or some keyboard as an accessibility solution, also I have not tried making EASYSTROKE available to the LOGIN process (I probably need to read more about how to do that)
- I have tried "xev" and none of the buttons on the machine do anything
6. [UNRESOLVED] FINGERPRINT READER-- 4-way pad (PAGE-UP/DOWN/LEFT/RIGHT SCROLL?) with a central button (ENTER?)
-- Four buttons (2 on each side of the "scroll/enter" pad)
-- Wi-fi on/off button
-- Fingerprint reader
-- Button for reset (CTRL-ALT-DEL?] next to Fingerprint reader
This looks promising:- I have not tried to work on the Fingerprint reader yet
-- Saw information about another TabletPC recommending a couple software solutions and mentioning that they didn't work on all reader models
-- Hardware model for the LE1600 Fingerprint Reader:
Bus 004 Device 002: ID 08ff:2580 AuthenTec, Inc. AES2501 Fingerprint Sensor
7. [UNRESOLVED] SOUND/MICROPHONE
8. [WORKS W/ JAUNTY 9.04 ] WI-FI-- Sound is currently broken this is lower priority for me at the moment
-- Microphone - unchecked due to broken sound
-- Will need to find links to finding out the hardware and fixes for these two items at some point
9. [UNRESOLVED?] EVDO PCMIA CARD- I am more interested in getting my SPRINT EVDO PCMIA CARD working instead as a mobile connectivity solution.
I have searched the forums and can not find how to get dead hardware keys to be found and working. There is no information on the LE1600 from what I have searched. There are some links on the internet to a Gentoo Linux site for this model but apparently that site lost its database so they don't find any information.- I have a SPRINT EVDO Card that I use for internet access via an old laptop that runs WINDOWS XP. I've had success in the past on that old laptop that can dual boot to Ubuntu Studio (7.04?) but don't know how to share that internet connection and it is slower in Ubuntu compared to with WINDOWS XP. It worked by using KPPP.
- A while back I found a SPRINT .PDF file that describes how to get the EVDO working with Ubuntu and KPPP I don't have the link but can post it to my server if there is an interest in this.
- I must have done something wrong with my EVDO card with the LE1600 because it found the card but wouldn't test properly or connect to the internet.
- This will need some more work/experimentation.
-- I have poor reception in my apartment so that may be a complicating factor.
AS OF 7/26/09 STILL BROKEN
-DrGNU (Steve FSF Member#:6887)I hope others with the LE1600 or similar LE1700 will find this thread useful and will add in their fixes and links to information that will help others.