Thread: trouble with wireless internet

Beans

trouble with wireless internet

I have just installed Ubuntu 8.10. I have a wireless broadband connection and when I first plugged in my modem key I had no problems, ubuntu recognised it and connected me to the internet. The next time I tried, however, it said my modem was locked and requested a password. It didn't accept any of the passowrds I tried (my internet account password or my Ubuntu password). Now when I try to login it seems to be 50/50 whether it asks for a password or connects without a problem.

What's the deal???

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: trouble with wireless internet

Quote Originally Posted by carsoni View Post
    I have just installed Ubuntu 8.10. I have a wireless broadband connection and when I first plugged in my modem key I had no problems, ubuntu recognised it and connected me to the internet. The next time I tried, however, it said my modem was locked and requested a password. It didn't accept any of the passowrds I tried (my internet account password or my Ubuntu password). Now when I try to login it seems to be 50/50 whether it asks for a password or connects without a problem.

What's the deal???
    Ubuntu can't be asking you for a modem password. That request must be coming from your modem, which is the end-point of your ISP's network. Remember, it's the modem that actually connects you to the internet, not Ubuntu (I assume you're using Firefox, or some other browser to make the connection). Ubuntu simply allows you to communicate with the modem. The authority to use that modem to access the Internet comes from your ISP. I think you'll resolve this problem with your ISP's tech support. Try rebooting the modem first.
    ...and so castles made of sand fall in the sea - eventually... Jimi Hendrix

Beans

Re: trouble with wireless internet

what type of connection is this?? DSL ?? how do you usually connect to the internet??