Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: /usr/lib/libgconf2-4/gconf-sanity-check-2 exited with error status 256

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: /usr/lib/libgconf2-4/gconf-sanity-check-2 exited with error status 256

1777 implies read/write/execute for everyone on the system. However, when applied to a directory the '1' prefix implies that only the directory owner and group are able to rename and delete files. This is important in a multi-user environment where many users have open files in /tmp.

Beans

Darn, I don't think that'll help me at all... i m a single user on a laptop. But I got 9.10 and had the .ICEauthority error, and fixed it but I had an issue with this as well, and im trying to figure this out. I don't know how to fix it and don't know what to do, where to go or what to type. Im new to all of this and really want this fixed. I don't know how to use commands or what they are. So that makes this difficult for me.
    Hi, my name is Crowded, and I'm a penguin.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by stereobroo View Post
    Hi

I just did chmod 1777 /tmp and gnome rocks again ...
    Helped me too! How come? This is madness

Beans

This worked for me too.

I think that the /tmp file holds some locking files. Because gconf can't break the lock, it fails. Resetting the permissions means gconf can update the locks and continue as normal.

An "ls -la" in a console will show you all the files in the directory.

Beans

Smile Re: /usr/lib/libgconf2-4/gconf-sanity-check-2 exited with error status 256

Sometimes, if you try to build a whole project, which you might have taken over the web, if you just run a script -provided in the pack- with superuser privilege to that script it might do anything to your system! such as copying files over the filesystem, changing the permissions, ...

Since this was the reason I got this error, and it is a common mistake to me, I just wanted to let you know about that.

So, be careful about scripts over the net, and read their instructions carefully before running them. (just in case)

Beans

Fixed me up too!

Crowdedelevator: in order to access a terminal you have to select the recovery mode option from grub when the machine boots up. Then select the terminal option when prompted. From there you can navigate to the root directory. I believe you should only have to type "cd .." then type "chmod 1777 /tmp" then reboot and cross your fingers.

Scott

Beans

So, I also had this problem.

I had run a picture recovery program that filled my hard drive completely. Then it crashed. When I rebooted, I got this error. So if your problem was created by too much space being filled, this might work, because nothing else did for me.

First, I used a LiveCD I had to "try ubuntu without changes" and when I got in, I used nautilus to go into my hard drive and clear space. I could not trash it though. so I used recovery mode in GRUB, and ran "startX" from the terminal. At that point, I could empty the trash, which freed space, which then fixed it all when i rebooted.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Red face Re: /usr/lib/libgconf2-4/gconf-sanity-check-2 exited with error status 256

i faced same problem .. by doing chmod 1777 /tmp/ ..

now working fine...

thanks,
    -amaresh chandra Das
    www.eodissa.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by reisrocks View Post
    Thanks stereobroo that fixed it for me
    worked for me as well thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by crowdedelevator View Post
    Darn, I don't think that'll help me at all... i m a single user on a laptop. But I got 9.10 and had the .ICEauthority error, and fixed it but I had an issue with this as well, and im trying to figure this out. I don't know how to fix it and don't know what to do, where to go or what to type. Im new to all of this and really want this fixed. I don't know how to use commands or what they are. So that makes this difficult for me.

What I did for that error was just login, and change the permissions for everyone to read and execute the file.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast